How is time treated differently in QFT versus relativistic quantum mechanics?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Tio Barnabe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Qft Qm Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Tio Barnabe
I'm starting this thread because @PeterDonis suggested in the other thread that time is treated diferently in quantum field theory and relativistic quantum mechanics/ ordinary quantum mechanics.

I'd like to know specifically how is it treated in QFT and in relativistic Quantum Mechanics. Of course, I could look at a book on the subject, but for the moment I'm interested on this specific topic only, so I'm not going to read a entire book for now.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
I'd like to know specifically how is it treated in QFT and in relativistic Quantum Mechanics.

It's one of the four dimensions of spacetime, just like in classical relativity.

Tio Barnabe said:
Of course, I could look at a book on the subject, but for the moment I'm interested on this specific topic only, so I'm not going to read a entire book for now.

Unfortunately, beyond what I just said above, you will need to take the time to work through a book if you want to understand the role that time plays in QFT/relativistic QM.
 
PeterDonis said:
It's one of the four dimensions of spacetime, just like in classical relativity.
That's in QFT as well as in relativistic QM? Or just in QFT?
 
Tio Barnabe said:
That's in QFT as well as in relativistic QM?

QFT is relativistic QM. There is no other theory of relativistic QM that I am aware of.

(Even if there were, to be relativistic it would have to treat time the way time is treated in relativity, which is what I described.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tio Barnabe