How lethal is a 600 PGRE for top schools?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter member 666466
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pgre Schools
In summary, the conversation discusses the likelihood of being accepted into top PhD programs with a PGRE score of 600 (28%). The participant's application is competitive with a strong GPA, research experience, and recommendation letters, but the low PGRE score may impact their chances of being admitted to top programs. The conversation also mentions the potential benefits of having contacts at PhD institutions and the possible impact of grade inflation at the participant's undergraduate institution. The participant also expresses concerns about their preparedness for graduate school based on their PGRE score.
member 666466
Is 600 PGRE (28%) enough to get the entire application chucked at top programs like Harvard, MIT, Berkeley, etc.? The rest of my application is not amazing but is competitive (3 very strong research-based rec letters, 1 middle authorship, 3.7+ GPA from Ivy with 4.0 for last two years which all but 2 courses were advanced physics/engineering/comp sci classes, low-income domestic woman, 4+ yrs of research, experimental condensed matter with secondary choice in computational condensed matter with all my research experience related to these two fields, personal statement with a strong narrative). I am currently studying for the October test, but I want to brace myself and not waste money on schools that's not even going to read my application. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you at Brown?

Vanadium 50 said:
Are you at Brown?
Uh well, graduated, but yes. How'd you know? As you can probably tell, I'm definitely panicking

The Vanadium gives some people psychic powers, it seems.

Likes Comeback City, Vanadium 50 and Dishsoap
WWGD said:
The Vanadium gives some people psychic powers, it seems.
Can that psychic power also tell if 600 is a fatal blow... I'm absolutely freaking out. I'm obviously going to try to get the score higher for this October test, but I'm not about to count my chickens, and this is a score that I have now. I already asked all my letter writers and some are already submitted, so I feel horrible already for wasting their time.

I won't say that the 600 PGRE is absolutely fatal, but your odds are low. A strong GPA and a weak PGRE leaves a lot of weight in your recommendation letters and published papers. With the available information, I'd say you've got a decent chance of admission to PhD programs with national rankings close to your undergrad institution, and a good chance of admission to programs ranked from 50-75 nationally. Top 10 programs? Not so much.

Does someone you did research for have contacts somewhere like Ohio State or Ga Tech? If they really have glowing things to say about you, schools in this range would be a much more realistic possibility. And these are very, very good schools. My only disappointment for students I mentor who are admitted to schools in this range is for students who were dreaming of top 10 schools and working very hard. I feel their pain, but it's not my pain. I'm proud of them. Schools ranked 11-30 are nothing to be disappointed by.

Even schools in the 31-70 range are nothing to be ashamed of. Live the dream. Earn a PhD in Physics. DO GREAT THINGS.

Dr. Courtney said:
I won't say that the 600 PGRE is absolutely fatal, but your odds are low. A strong GPA and a weak PGRE leaves a lot of weight in your recommendation letters and published papers. With the available information, I'd say you've got a decent chance of admission to PhD programs with national rankings close to your undergrad institution, and a good chance of admission to programs ranked from 50-75 nationally. Top 10 programs? Not so much.

Does someone you did research for have contacts somewhere like Ohio State or Ga Tech? If they really have glowing things to say about you, schools in this range would be a much more realistic possibility. And these are very, very good schools. My only disappointment for students I mentor who are admitted to schools in this range is for students who were dreaming of top 10 schools and working very hard. But schools ranked 11-30 are nothing to be disappointed by.

Even schools in the 31-70 range are nothing to be ashamed of. Live the dream. Earn a PhD in Physics. DO GREAT THINGS.

My advisors have contacts in these top 10/20 schools.. but that probably won't help if my application doesn't even get reviewed? Thankfully, some of the top schools that I'm applying don't require PGRE.

hsk said:
My advisors have contacts in these top 10/20 schools.. but that probably won't help if my application doesn't even get reviewed? Thankfully, some of the top schools that I'm applying don't require PGRE.

If a faculty member at a PhD institution wants you in their research group based on a recommendation, they can make sure your application gets reviewed. Now, your PGRE score may ultimately prevent admission due to concerns your odds of passing their qualifying exams are low.

Dr. Courtney said:
If a faculty member at a PhD institution wants you in their research group based on a recommendation, they can make sure your application gets reviewed. Now, your PGRE score may ultimately prevent admission due to concerns your odds of passing their qualifying exams are low.
Ahh thanks so much for your assessment. I'm going to try to raise my PGRE as much as possible, so that hopefully it won't completely nix my chances.

Likes WWGD
Here's the deal with Brown. Brown is famous for truly horrific grade inflation. Because of this grade inflation, your 3.7+ will be evaluated as somewhere between "average" and "meaningless". That will, in turn, cause your PGRE to be considered more seriously than applicants from schools where grades have a larger dynamic range. In some cases, this would be a good thing, but not so much in yours.

I think you also need to at least consider the unpleasant possibility that the PGRE is accurate and that you didn't learn the material as well as you should have, but Brown was unwilling to tell you that. That would mean you won't be prepared for graduate school when you get there. Do you think the 600 is accurate?

Likes marcusl and Dr. Courtney

1. How does the PGRE score impact my chances of getting into a top graduate school?

The PGRE score is one of several factors that graduate schools consider when evaluating applicants. While a high score can certainly improve your chances, it is not the only factor that determines acceptance. Other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements also play a significant role.

2. Is a 600 PGRE considered a good score for top graduate schools?

A 600 PGRE score is above the average score of 500, but it may not be considered a competitive score for top graduate schools. These schools often have higher average scores, and a 600 may not stand out among other applicants. It is important to research the average PGRE scores for the schools you are interested in to get a better understanding of where a 600 falls in comparison.

3. Can a low PGRE score be offset by other strong application components?

Yes, a low PGRE score can be offset by other strong components of your application. As mentioned before, graduate schools consider multiple factors when evaluating applicants. If you have strong research experience, letters of recommendation, and a compelling personal statement, these can help compensate for a lower PGRE score.

4. How much weight does the PGRE score carry in the admissions process?

The weight of the PGRE score varies among different graduate schools and programs. Some schools may place a greater emphasis on the score, while others may consider it as just one aspect of the application. It is important to research the specific schools and programs you are interested in to get a better understanding of how they weigh the PGRE score.

5. Can I retake the PGRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the PGRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, it is important to carefully consider whether retaking the exam is worth the time and effort. Some schools may take the average of your scores, while others may only consider your highest score. It is also important to note that you may only take the PGRE three times in a 12-month period.