How Long Will It Take to Travel 65 Light-Years at Relativistic Speeds?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
persephoneia
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Suppose you decide to travel to a star 65 light-years away at a speed that tells you the distance is only 25 light-years. How many years would it take you to make the trip?

Homework Equations


∆t=∆t0/(√ (1−v2/c2 )) / ∆t0 = ∆t √(1−v2/c2)
L=L0√ (1−v2/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution


I've attempted to use the length contraction equation to find the velocity (v=c√(1-(25/65)^2) but when I plug that into the time dilation equation I don't get the correct answer. I get 25 when the answer should be 27. Where am I going wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
persephoneia said:

Homework Statement


Suppose you decide to travel to a star 65 light-years away at a speed that tells you the distance is only 25 light-years. How many years would it take you to make the trip?

Homework Equations


∆t=∆t0/(√ (1−v2/c2 )) / ∆t0 = ∆t √(1−v2/c2)
L=L0√ (1−v2/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution


I've attempted to use the length contraction equation to find the velocity (v=c√(1-(25/65)^2) but when I plug that into the time dilation equation I don't get the correct answer. I get 25 when the answer should be 27. Where am I going wrong?

If you know the distance in your frame and the velocity in your frame, what do you need time dilation for?
 
PeroK said:
If you know the distance in your frame and the velocity in your frame, what do you need time dilation for?
I don't. I wasn't thinking that light years is also a distance because I looking at an example for the problem that combined the two equations (length contraction & time dilation) which threw me off. It's basically t=d/v after you figure out velocity right?
 
persephoneia said:
I don't. I wasn't thinking that light years is also a distance because I looking at an example for the problem that combined the two equations (length contraction & time dilation) which threw me off. It's basically t=d/v after you figure out velocity right?

Right!