How long will the sun burn if only combustion is happening.

In summary, the sun has a mass of 2*10^30kg and produces energy at a rate of 3.9*10^26 watts. If the sun's energy source were ordinary combustion of methane, and using the delta enthalpy of the combustion of methane as -802 kj, the sun would last for a certain amount of time. To correctly solve this problem, the mass of both methane and oxygen should be included, as both are necessary for the combustion process.
xdrgnh

Homework Statement

The sun has a mass of 2*10^30kg and gives off energy at a rate of 3.9*10^26 watts. If the source of the sun's energy energy were ordinary combustion of methane how long will it last.

Homework Equations

delta Enthalpy of the combustion of methane is -802 kj. Energy equals watts times time.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I need to know is this. When I do this problem do I use the mass of both the methane and 2O_2 which is 80 grams per mole or just the methane which is 16 grams per mole. I did this problem using 80 grams per mole because that's the mass of the fuel that is burning that gives off 802 kj of energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it seems like to do it right you need to include the mass of both combustion products. You can't burn the methane without oxygen, right?

What is the sun's primary source of energy?

The sun's primary source of energy is nuclear fusion, which occurs in the sun's core.

How long has the sun been burning?

The sun has been burning for approximately 4.6 billion years and is expected to continue burning for another 5 billion years.

What is the rate of the sun's combustion?

The sun's combustion rate is about 600 million tons of hydrogen per second, which is converted into helium through nuclear fusion.

Will the sun eventually run out of fuel?

Yes, eventually the sun will run out of its main fuel source, hydrogen, and will begin to fuse helium. This will cause it to expand into a red giant and eventually become a white dwarf.

How long will the sun continue to burn if only combustion is happening?

If only combustion is happening, the sun will continue to burn for approximately 130 trillion years, until it runs out of hydrogen fuel and begins the process of becoming a white dwarf.