How long will the sun burn if only combustion is happening.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
xdrgnh
Messages
415
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The sun has a mass of 2*10^30kg and gives off energy at a rate of 3.9*10^26 watts. If the source of the sun's energy energy were ordinary combustion of methane how long will it last.




Homework Equations



delta Enthalpy of the combustion of methane is -802 kj. Energy equals watts times time.


The Attempt at a Solution



All I need to know is this. When I do this problem do I use the mass of both the methane and 2O_2 which is 80 grams per mole or just the methane which is 16 grams per mole. I did this problem using 80 grams per mole because that's the mass of the fuel that is burning that gives off 802 kj of energy.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it seems like to do it right you need to include the mass of both combustion products. You can't burn the methane without oxygen, right?