1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long will the sun burn if only combustion is happening.

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The sun has a mass of 2*10^30kg and gives off energy at a rate of 3.9*10^26 watts. If the source of the sun's energy energy were ordinary combustion of methane how long will it last.

2. Relevant equations

delta Enthalpy of the combustion of methane is -802 kj. Energy equals watts times time.

3. The attempt at a solution

All I need to know is this. When I do this problem do I use the mass of both the methane and 2O_2 which is 80 grams per mole or just the methane which is 16 grams per mole. I did this problem using 80 grams per mole because that's the mass of the fuel that is burning that gives off 802 kj of energy.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Well, it seems like to do it right you need to include the mass of both combustion products. You can't burn the methane without oxygen, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted