Chemistry: Methane - Oxygen Combustion Problem - Help needed please.

In summary, the problem involves the combustion of 0.10 liters of Methane gas with Oxygen gas at a constant pressure, with the released heat being used to melt 9.53 grams of ice in an "ice calorimeter". The questions ask for the amount of energy released during the combustion process, the full chemical combustion reaction of Methane gas, and the ΔH of the Methane combustion process. The heat of fusion for ice is given as 6.01 kJ/mol. The first question should be answered in units of energy, rather than energy/mol. The second question can be answered by researching how to write a combustion reaction. The third question can be tackled after completing the first two.
kokoman
Hello,

Please help me with the following problem.

Homework Statement

0.10 Liter of Methane (CH4) gas, at a temperature of 25C and pressure of 744mmHg, react with Oxygen (O2) gas, at constant pressure.

The heat released during the process is then transferred to an "ice calorimeter" (melts ice based on heat received), in which it is used to melt 9.53 grams of ordinary ice at temperature of 0C.

1) Calculate the amount of energy released during the above described combustion process.

2) Formulate the full chemical combustion reaction of Methane gas.

3) Calculate the ΔH of the Methane Combustion process.

In 1 & 3, if you can, please show full solution process including formulas, as I'd like to go over it and learn it.

Homework Equations

The heat of fusion for ice is, ΔH = 6.01 kJ / mol.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck at the beginning, but the progress that I've made so far is that since it's 9.53 grams of ice that's melted, and assuming that it's pure H2O ice of 18 g /mol weight - with heat of fusion of 6.01 kJ / mol - so I can assume that the answer for the first question is ~3 kJ / mol... Is that correct? Other than that, not much...

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
For part one the question is asking for total energy released, so you're answer should be in units of energy not energy/mol. Forget about combusting for now. If i asked you how much energy I needed to melt some amount of ice at constant pressure, would you know how to answer that?

For part two, if you don't know how to write a combustion reaction you need to read your text or just google. It's not complicated.

Let's tackle part three later, you appear to be a bit lost so we can do this one step at a time.

1. What is the chemical reaction between methane and oxygen?

The chemical reaction between methane (CH4) and oxygen (O2) is known as combustion. This reaction produces carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O) as byproducts, releasing a significant amount of energy in the form of heat.

2. What are the conditions needed for methane and oxygen to undergo combustion?

Methane and oxygen require three conditions to undergo combustion: fuel (methane), oxygen, and heat. Without these three components, the reaction will not occur. Additionally, a spark or flame is often needed to initiate the reaction.

3. What is the balanced chemical equation for the combustion of methane with oxygen?

The balanced chemical equation for the combustion of methane with oxygen is:
CH4 + 2O2 → CO2 + 2H2O

4. How does the combustion of methane and oxygen contribute to global warming?

The combustion of methane and oxygen produces carbon dioxide as a byproduct. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas that traps heat in the Earth's atmosphere, contributing to the greenhouse effect and global warming. The burning of methane also releases water vapor, which is another potent greenhouse gas.

5. Can methane and oxygen undergo combustion without producing carbon dioxide?

No, the combustion of methane and oxygen will always produce carbon dioxide as one of the byproducts. However, there are other methods of methane combustion, such as partial oxidation or steam reforming, that can produce different byproducts such as carbon monoxide or hydrogen gas.