How long would it take for a freight train to accelerate to 77.6 km/h from rest?

  • Thread starter Thread starter D3mon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forces Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
D3mon
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A freight train has a mass of 2.8 × 10^7 kg.
If the locomotive can exert a constant pull
of 8.1 × 10^5 N, how long would it take to
increase the speed of the train from rest to
77.6 km/h? (Disregard friction.) Answer in
units of s.

Homework Equations



F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried everything, but I really have no clue on how to do this problem, if anyone can point me in the right direction or tell some formulas that would help it would be much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the force.

You know the mass.

So surely you have the acceleration don't you?

And if you have acceleration what it that? Isn't that the rate of change of velocity? And if you know how fast velocity is changing can't you figure how long it will take to get to that speed?
 
Do it in two steps:
(1) Find the acceleration.
(2) Use kinematics to find the time. (Convert that speed to standard units: m/s.)
 
Thanks guys I found my mistake

It was I kept finding the acceleration in m/s and never changed the final velocity from k/h to m/s

The answer was 745.13 seconds