Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many B.C. are necessary for first order PDE set?

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    Hi
    I have a set of two linearized integro-partial-differential equations with derivatives of first order (also inside the integrals). How many boundary (initial) conditions should I give for such problem for the solution to be unique? is the 'initial condition that intersect once with the characteristics' still holds? If you can add a refernce that I can use in front of my supervisior it will be great.
    A simple problem that reflects my difficulties:
    vt+sin(x)vx+f(x)ux=0
    ut+sin(x)ux+cos(x)vx=0
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

We're not here to do your research for you, but I will explain one thing to you. You can calculate Riemann invariants for the system you gave and these are constant on the characteristics and so you will only require 2 initial conditions .

4. Aug 12, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You might want to think about the distinction between "boundary conditions" and "initial conditions" and what those differences mean for first order equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook