1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many combinations that have at least 2 queens are possible?

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    From a deck of 52 cards, the 12 face cards are removed. From these face cards, 4 are chosen. How many combinations that have at least 2 queens are possible?

The answer is 201... I can't get here. This is what I did:
    case1) 4 queens can be chosen C(4,2) ways * 10 cards can be chosen C(10,2) ways
    case2) 4 queens can be chosen C(4,3) ways * 9 cards can be chosen C(9,1) ways
    case3) 4 queens can be chosen C(4,4) ways * 8 cards can be chosen C(8,0) ways

case 1 = 270
    case 2 = 36
    case 3 = 1
    270+36+1 does not equal 201

what am I doing wrong? TiA

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is your mistake.

I'll show for Case 1, then you can solve the rest.

4 Queens can be chosen, which is 4 C 2 ways. The problem is here. You said that 10 cards can be chosen, but that means a Queen can be chosen. That's wrong you can't choose a Queen again. So, it is 2 cards can be chosen from 8, which is 8 C 2.

See where this is going?

Now, solve it. :biggrin:

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: If exactly two queens are drawn, how many non-queens are available to complete the foursome?

5. Dec 17, 2005 #4
    If you do this, It's better to do it the reverse way. Find the universal amount of cards and subtract the complement, which is Tide's method: how many non-queens are available to complete the foursome. Most questions like these, if you take a backwards approach to it, it's alot easier.

Cases can get a bit confusing.

So:

n(u) = 12C4

Let A be the # of sequences that have only 1 queen

n(a) = 9C4

Let B be the # of sequences that have no queen

n(b) = 8C4

Total number of combinations with at least 2 queens = n(u) - n(a) - n(b)
    = 12C4 - 9C4 - 8C4

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  6. Dec 18, 2005 #5
    Thanks ... I feel pretty stupid making a mistake like that.

...forevergone, your cases don't work out... I get an answer of 299 =p

7. Dec 20, 2005 #6
    It's probably a mathematical error, but the approach should be like that. If you use the complement and subtract it from the universe, you should get the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?