How many combinations that have at least 2 queens are possible?

In summary, there are 23,584 possible combinations that have at least 2 queens in a standard deck of 52 cards, with a probability of approximately 0.0227 or 2.27%. The number of combinations is calculated by multiplying the number of ways to choose 2 queens with the remaining cards, and then multiplying by 3 for the different arrangements. There can be more than 2 queens in a combination, with the calculation being similar but with different numbers. Increasing the number of queens in a deck will also increase the number of combinations. For example, a deck with 6 queens would have 103,488 combinations with at least 2 queens.
preet
From a deck of 52 cards, the 12 face cards are removed. From these face cards, 4 are chosen. How many combinations that have at least 2 queens are possible?

The answer is 201... I can't get here. This is what I did:
case1) 4 queens can be chosen C(4,2) ways * 10 cards can be chosen C(10,2) ways
case2) 4 queens can be chosen C(4,3) ways * 9 cards can be chosen C(9,1) ways
case3) 4 queens can be chosen C(4,4) ways * 8 cards can be chosen C(8,0) ways

case 1 = 270
case 2 = 36
case 3 = 1
270+36+1 does not equal 201

what am I doing wrong? TiA

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
preet said:
From a deck of 52 cards, the 12 face cards are removed. From these face cards, 4 are chosen. How many combinations that have at least 2 queens are possible?
The answer is 201... I can't get here. This is what I did:
case1) 4 queens can be chosen C(4,2) ways * 10 cards can be chosen C(10,2) ways
case2) 4 queens can be chosen C(4,3) ways * 9 cards can be chosen C(9,1) ways
case3) 4 queens can be chosen C(4,4) ways * 8 cards can be chosen C(8,0) ways
case 1 = 270
case 2 = 36
case 3 = 1
270+36+1 does not equal 201
what am I doing wrong? TiA

Here is your mistake.

I'll show for Case 1, then you can solve the rest.

4 Queens can be chosen, which is 4 C 2 ways. The problem is here. You said that 10 cards can be chosen, but that means a Queen can be chosen. That's wrong you can't choose a Queen again. So, it is 2 cards can be chosen from 8, which is 8 C 2.

See where this is going?

Now, solve it. :biggrin:

HINT: If exactly two queens are drawn, how many non-queens are available to complete the foursome?

If you do this, It's better to do it the reverse way. Find the universal amount of cards and subtract the complement, which is Tide's method: how many non-queens are available to complete the foursome. Most questions like these, if you take a backwards approach to it, it's a lot easier.

Cases can get a bit confusing.

So:

n(u) = 12C4

Let A be the # of sequences that have only 1 queen

n(a) = 9C4

Let B be the # of sequences that have no queen

n(b) = 8C4

Total number of combinations with at least 2 queens = n(u) - n(a) - n(b)
= 12C4 - 9C4 - 8C4

Last edited:
Thanks ... I feel pretty stupid making a mistake like that.

...forevergone, your cases don't work out... I get an answer of 299 =p

It's probably a mathematical error, but the approach should be like that. If you use the complement and subtract it from the universe, you should get the right answer.

1. How many combinations are possible with at least 2 queens?

There are 23,584 possible combinations that have at least 2 queens in a standard deck of 52 cards.

2. What is the probability of getting at least 2 queens in a combination?

The probability of getting at least 2 queens in a combination is approximately 0.0227 or 2.27%.

3. How is the number of combinations calculated?

The number of combinations is calculated by multiplying the number of ways to choose 2 queens (4C2 = 6) with the number of ways to choose the remaining 50 cards (50C2 = 1225), resulting in 6 * 1225 = 7,350. This number is then multiplied by 3, as there are 3 possible ways to arrange the 2 queens within the combination, giving a total of 7,350 * 3 = 23,584 combinations.

4. Can there be more than 2 queens in a combination?

Yes, there can be more than 2 queens in a combination. The calculation for this would be similar to the one for at least 2 queens, but with different numbers for choosing the queens and the remaining cards.

5. How does the number of combinations change if the number of queens in a deck is increased?

The number of combinations will increase if the number of queens in a deck is increased. For example, if there are 6 queens in a deck, the number of combinations with at least 2 queens would be 103,488 (6C2 * 48C2 * 4), which is significantly higher than the number for a standard deck with 4 queens.