How many ways can you draw 3 of one suit and 2 of another suit?

• MHB
  • Thread starter nari
  • Start date
In summary, to draw 3 cards of one suit and 2 cards of another suit from a standard deck of 52 cards, you would use the formula C(13, 3) x C(13,2) x C(4,2). This last term accounts for the fact that the first two terms do not specify the suit, so we must choose 2 suits out of the 4 available.
nari
Hi! I am completing a practice exam and there is this answer to a question that I do not understand. It says:

An experiment consists of drawing a hand of 5 cards from a standard deck of 52 cards. How many ways can you draw 3 of one suit and 2 of another suit?

I thought it was C(13, 3) x C(13,2). But it turns out it is C(13, 3) x C(13,2) x C(4,2). I don't understand where that last bit comes from. I know there are 4 suits, so I am guessing that bit is choosing two suits out of the four, but why is that not redundant when considering the first two parts of the answer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nari said:
Hi! I am completing a practice exam and there is this answer to a question that I do not understand. It says:

An experiment consists of drawing a hand of 5 cards from a standard deck of 52 cards. How many ways can you draw 3 of one suit and 2 of another suit?

I thought it was C(13, 3) x C(13,2). But it turns out it is C(13, 3) x C(13,2) x C(4,2). I don't understand where that last bit comes from. I know there are 4 suits, so I am guessing that bit is choosing two suits out of the four, but why is that not redundant when considering the first two parts of the answer?

Hi nari,

Welcome to MHB. :) This is a good question!

The first two parts, C(13, 3) x C(13,2), deal with choosing select cards from a pool in the appropriate way, but say nothing about the suit. For the first term, C(13, 3), this could be any of the 4 suits right? And then for the second expression, C(13,2), this could be from any of the 3 remaining suits. We haven't dealt with the problem of where the 13's come from yet. We are counting 3H2S the same as 3S2D right now.

That's where this last piece comes in. Does that make sense or help?

Jameson said:
Hi nari,

Welcome to MHB. :) This is a good question!

The first two parts, C(13, 3) x C(13,2), deal with choosing select cards from a pool in the appropriate way, but say nothing about the suit. For the first term, C(13, 3), this could be any of the 4 suits right? And then for the second expression, C(13,2), this could be from any of the 3 remaining suits. We haven't dealt with the problem of where the 13's come from yet. We are counting 3H2S the same as 3S2D right now.

That's where this last piece comes in. Does that make sense or help?

Yes, it does make sense! Thank you :)

1. How many ways can you draw 3 cards of one suit and 2 cards of another suit?

There are 720 possible combinations of drawing 3 cards of one suit and 2 cards of another suit from a standard deck of 52 cards.

2. Is the order of the cards important in this combination?

No, the order of the cards does not matter in this combination. As long as you have 3 cards of one suit and 2 cards of another suit, it is considered a valid combination.

3. Can you draw 3 cards of one suit and 2 cards of another suit from different decks?

Yes, you can draw 3 cards of one suit and 2 cards of another suit from different decks. As long as the cards are from a standard deck of 52 cards, the combination is still valid.

4. What if I want to calculate the probability of drawing 3 cards of one suit and 2 cards of another suit?

The probability of drawing 3 cards of one suit and 2 cards of another suit depends on the total number of cards in the deck and the number of cards of each suit. For a standard deck of 52 cards, the probability is 720/13260, or approximately 0.0543.

5. Can this combination be applied to games like poker or blackjack?

Yes, this combination can be applied to games like poker or blackjack. In poker, this combination is known as a full house, and in blackjack, it can be used to form a hand with 5 cards of the same suit.