Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many countries can you name?

1. Jul 16, 2010 #1
    http://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/how-many-countries-can-you-name.php

When I first tried this two weeks ago, I could name about 30-40. Now I can recognize over 140 on the map. For the ones too small for the map, I spend a little time on Google Earth, particularly street view.

So, how many can you name? You've twelve minutes on the clock, and it's fine without capitalization. Good luck!

Dammmm those other quizzes are addicting. Sorry if anyone disappears from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2010 #2
    Around 962.

4. Jul 16, 2010 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

SPOILER ALERT (names of countries)

I got 99. I spent a full minute thinking to myself... "small pacific island nation.... good at rugby.... somalia! Damnit, that's not it..."

I basically sucked in Africa and presumably the Pacific islands. Also, Kyrgyzstan is hard as hell to spell under pressure

5. Jul 16, 2010 #4
    I got 106. I'll try again tomorrow. I wish I could see all the countries in the Caribbean so I could picture them in my head, but they're too small to show up on the map.
    Edit: I got 130 this last time. I need to go look at a map.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. Jul 16, 2010 #5
    I only got one right. Nauru.

7. Jul 16, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rats, I got 91 and my brain froze.

8. Jul 16, 2010 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

USA!

One. Are there others?

9. Jul 16, 2010 #8
    109, spelling got me in the end.

10. Jul 16, 2010 #9
    Yeah, remember there was that other one we broke away from. That makes two, I think.

11. Jul 16, 2010 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

156 - blew my last 20 seconds trying to recall the new name for Upper Volta. With another couple minutes, I could have gotten about 15-20 more - I'm a slow typer =(

12. Jul 16, 2010 #11
    I only got 83, I feel so ashamed. I missed some really obvious ones, but got some that over 80% of the test takers missed.

13. Jul 16, 2010 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I got like 66 :(. When the hell did they change hte name to New Zealand???

14. Jul 16, 2010 #13

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Most of the ones I missed were too small to show up on the map so they didn't jog my memory. The ones that I saw on the map and missed were Kyrgyzstan, Guinea-Bissau, and that bunch of islands at the far right... Marshalls? Micronesia? Looking more closely at the map, I now see Djibouti, Lebanon, Cyprus and Trinidad & Tobago that I would have gotten if I had seen them.

15. Jul 17, 2010 #14
    151, spelling killed me too or I could have done better

16. Jul 17, 2010 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wasted a minute trying to spel Bengalidesh.

Any score past 100 is essentially a typing test.

17. Jul 17, 2010 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

137. I struggled with South East Asia, the Pacific Islands and some of South America.

18. Jul 17, 2010 #17
    155. I wasted time trying to type in countries that weren't countries, and couldn't spell countries like Guinea-Bissau. Not sure if I typed it wrong or just forgot the hyphen. Also couldn't figure out how to spell Czech Republic until it was over. Cote-d'ivoire and French Guiana weren't working.
    Who else got San Marino? I was surprised I thought of that.

Edit: just got 177. Can't believe there's still 18 more I'm missing.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  19. Jul 17, 2010 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Ivory Coast" works.

I rattled off all the City-States and tiny countries first thing. About three minutes into it, I looked up and saw I was trying to enter "Stvincent saint lucia Trinidad and tobago grenada dominica,...." etc. Due to the no space in the first one, it didn't "go in" and all the subsequent names just piled up in the bar. I don't know how much time I lost there.

I did notice that putting in just "Congo" took care of both Congos!

And for some reason they did not accept Tannu Tuva, or Kingdom of the Volga Bulgars.

20. Jul 17, 2010 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Must have wasted a good 30 seconds trying to figure out how many names England goes by.
    Never did figure out how to spell Equador, um Equidor, er... never mind......

21. Jul 17, 2010 #20
    I suppose I should point out that some of you might have missed the list that follows your completed quiz. When time's up, scroll down to see what you got right and missed.

edit: I'm up to 151!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  22. Jul 17, 2010 #21
    I'll perhaps make some others who did not do all that well feel better by saying I only got 37.

Had I more time and been able to remember how names were spelled (I could not for the life of me remember how to spell Czech Republic) I probably would have gotten another couple dozen at least. I was surprised at some of the names I did remember and for some reason I did not think to go through Asian countries until there were only 2 seconds left (I only picked up China, Japan, India, and Indonesia not counting middle eastern countries). Timers make me nervous. :grumpy:

23. Jul 17, 2010 #22

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Thank you. I still have the page up.

12 most missed countries:

We'll have to get the boss to visit those places, if he hasn't already.

24. Jul 17, 2010 #23
    That's better than my first time. Keep at if for a few weeks and watch what happens!

25. Jul 17, 2010 #24

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

England doesn't go by any other names. The country you were looking for, however, is called the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). It's amazing the number of people who thing England and the UK are synonymous.

26. Jul 17, 2010 #25

OmCheeto

Gold Member

That would be me.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook