How many dark fringes from 651nm light on a 5.47×10⁻⁶m slit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NotaPhysicsMan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fringes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
NotaPhysicsMan
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
Hey, another question I'm working on.

How many dark fringes will be produced on either side of the central maximum if light, (651nm) is incident on a single slit that is 5.47 x 10^-m wide?

Ok, I figure I could use this forumula sin@= m x lambda/Width. Am I trying to locate the maximum m (the order of the dark fringe) that it'll go?

I tried solving for m=1 and got a angle of 6.83 degrees. Now where to?
Any tips/hints welcome.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the range of values of sin@ ?
 
I missed something, the W is suppose to be 5.47x10^-6 m. Well, I know it can't go past 90 degrees and the min is the central max, which is 0 degrees.
 
So if I put sin90=m x lambda/W and solve for m, then I'll get 8.40? so 8 dark fringes?