How many group homomorphisms are there from Z to Z/2Z?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jakelyon
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
jakelyon
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I have seen that there exists two group homomorphisms from Z to Z/2Z. However, I cannot seem to understand this. I mean I know that there exists a trivial grp hom. which sends all of Z to 0 in Z/2Z. But I cannot think of anymore. Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Z is generated by 1. There are two places 1 can map to, 0 or 1 (mod 2). If it doesn't map to 0, it must map to 1. Do you see what function that really is?
 
Yes :)
If f(1)=1 (mod 2), then f(n)=n (mod 2), which is 0 if n is even and 1 if n is odd.