How many M type stars equal the luminosity of one O type star?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter blumfeld0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Luminosity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
blumfeld0
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
Hello. what equation do i use to figure out how many .75*Msolar main sequence stars would it take to equal the luminosity of one 3*Msolar O tpe star?
I know O type are much brighter but how many times brighter?

thank you
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
blumfeld0 said:
Hello. what equation do i use to figure out how many .75*Msolar main sequence stars would it take to equal the luminosity of one 3*Msolar O tpe star?
I know O type are much brighter but how many times brighter?

thank you
You ought to be able to get most of this info from links starting on http://www.astronomynotes.com/starprop/chindex.htm" .

or http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~kbundy/ay1page/lectures/class7.pdf".
 
Last edited by a moderator:
blumfeld0 said:
Hello. what equation do i use to figure out how many .75*Msolar main sequence stars would it take to equal the luminosity of one 3*Msolar O tpe star?
I know O type are much brighter but how many times brighter?

I would use a table, but if you can't find one, the mass-luminosity relation should be fine:

[tex]\frac{L}{L_{sun}} \propto (\frac{M}{M_{sun}})^{3.5}[/tex]
 
SpaceTiger said:
I would use a table, but if you can't find one, the mass-luminosity relation should be fine:

[tex]\frac{L}{L_{sun}} \propto (\frac{M}{M_{sun}})^{3.5}[/tex]


As a side note this requires that composition (hydrogen, helium, metal mass fractions) be the same. Higher helium content will mean higher luminosity as will lower metal content.