Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many mathematicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    So I just saw this joke and I thought y'all might get a kick out of it (at least those who have read one of the bourbaki books)

Q: How many Bourbakists does it take to replace a lightbulb?
    A: Changing a lightbulb is a special case of a more general theorem concerning the maintain and repair of an electrical system. To establish upper and lower bounds for the number of personnel required, we must determine whether the sufficient conditions of Lemma 2.1 (Availability of personnel) and those of Corollary 2.3.55 (Motivation of personnel) apply. If these conditions are met, we derive the result by an application of the theorems in Section 3.11.23. The resulting upper bound is, of course, a result in an abstract measure space, in the weak-* topology.

That's the first time I've ever giggled at a 'how many x to replace a lightbulb' joke.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Maybe you should get out more ;) [BTW I don't get out that much either ;)]

4. Aug 8, 2012 #3
    pff I'm going on my biweekly going out tonight! :approve:

5. Aug 8, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

Hope you have a good time :)

6. Aug 8, 2012 #5
    Bait and switch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook