Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many of you fear computers

1. Aug 27, 2006 #1
    How many of you "fear" computers

How many of you "fear" computers - posting, flaming, downtime, complexity, hackers, spam, dating, etc?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Not me,it would be very hard to stop using a computer. I just use common sense.
  4. Aug 27, 2006 #3
    Won't the responses to this be a bit biased since this is being asked on an internet forum. So I don't think many people will respond saying they are afraid of computers.
  5. Aug 27, 2006 #4

Gold Member

PF was the first site that I ever ran across, and I've never looked back. I therefore have no idea of what 'flame wars' or other crap is about. The closest that I ran across here was when that idiot 'Bicycle Tree' was trying to bait me. I'm still here, and he's not, so I consider that to be Darwinism at its best.
    To me, a computer is a tool just like my Vise-Grips and welder and hammer. When I need it, I use it. Otherwise, it sits and waits for me. I certainly don't fear it, other than the 'how much is this upgrade going to cost?' kind of fear.
  6. Aug 28, 2006 #5
    I don't think I understand the question. It sounds like you're talking about the Internet. Networks are very different from computers.

I think it's reasonable for there to be more fear about the growth of the net. Will it be everywhere? How many people will steal my art? How much of my identity is publicly available?

On the other hand, the growth of computation is less worrisome. It just means more accurate scientific models, faster render times, nicer looking video games, and more creative power for everyone.

Combine that with the growth and networks, though, and who knows what'll happen. :surprised
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  7. Aug 28, 2006 #6
    This morning alone I received five offers to let me distribute amounts from a few million to 86 million "dollars"!
  8. Aug 28, 2006 #7
    No fear, given that my PC is immunized against techno-strikes, cybotages, stealing of hackint, kiddiots, and ethical hackers.

This nice set of terms is courtesy of Word Spy, great place to learn new words :P
  9. Aug 28, 2006 #8
    Thanks, me-te-or!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?