How many of you fear computers

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, many people on the Internet fear computers because of the potential for cyber-attacks, spam, and other problems. However, computers are a tool that can be used in a variety of ways, and most people are not afraid of them.
Loren Booda
How many of you "fear" computers

How many of you "fear" computers - posting, flaming, downtime, complexity, hackers, spam, dating, etc?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not me,it would be very hard to stop using a computer. I just use common sense.

Won't the responses to this be a bit biased since this is being asked on an internet forum. So I don't think many people will respond saying they are afraid of computers.

PF was the first site that I ever ran across, and I've never looked back. I therefore have no idea of what 'flame wars' or other crap is about. The closest that I ran across here was when that idiot 'Bicycle Tree' was trying to bait me. I'm still here, and he's not, so I consider that to be Darwinism at its best.
To me, a computer is a tool just like my Vise-Grips and welder and hammer. When I need it, I use it. Otherwise, it sits and waits for me. I certainly don't fear it, other than the 'how much is this upgrade going to cost?' kind of fear.

Loren Booda said:
How many of you "fear" computers - posting, flaming, downtime, complexity, hackers, spam, dating, etc?
I don't think I understand the question. It sounds like you're talking about the Internet. Networks are very different from computers.

I think it's reasonable for there to be more fear about the growth of the net. Will it be everywhere? How many people will steal my art? How much of my identity is publicly available?

On the other hand, the growth of computation is less worrisome. It just means more accurate scientific models, faster render times, nicer looking video games, and more creative power for everyone.

Combine that with the growth and networks, though, and who knows what'll happen.

Last edited:
This morning alone I received five offers to let me distribute amounts from a few million to 86 million "dollars"!

No fear, given that my PC is immunized against techno-strikes, cybotages, stealing of hackint, kiddiots, and ethical hackers.

This nice set of terms is courtesy of http://www.wordspy.com/index/Computers-HackingandHackers.asp , great place to learn new words :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, me-te-or!

What is the reason behind the fear of computers?

There are several reasons why people may fear computers. Some may have had negative experiences with technology in the past, such as a computer crashing and losing important work. Others may fear the unknown and feel overwhelmed by the complex nature of computers. Additionally, the media often portrays computers as dangerous and capable of taking over human jobs and tasks, contributing to the fear.

What are the potential dangers of using computers?

While computers can certainly pose risks, such as cyber attacks and privacy breaches, they also offer many benefits and can greatly improve our lives. It's important to understand the potential dangers and take precautions, such as using strong passwords and keeping software up to date, but it's also important to not let fear prevent us from utilizing the many advantages of technology.

Can computer fear be overcome?

Yes, computer fear can be overcome with education and exposure. By learning more about how computers work and gaining hands-on experience with them, individuals can become more comfortable and confident in using technology. Seeking support from others, such as friends, family, or computer classes, can also help in overcoming fear and building confidence.

Is computer fear a common phenomenon?

Yes, computer fear is a common phenomenon, especially among older generations who may not have grown up with technology. However, with the increasing integration of computers in our daily lives, more and more people are becoming comfortable and even reliant on technology. It's important to recognize that computer fear is normal and can be addressed with patience and support.

What are the benefits of using computers despite the fear?

The benefits of using computers far outweigh the fears associated with them. Computers allow for efficient communication, access to a vast amount of information, and the ability to automate and streamline tasks. They also offer opportunities for learning, creativity, and entertainment. By overcoming computer fear, individuals can reap the many benefits that technology has to offer.