How Many Photons Reach the Hubble Telescope from a Distant Star in a Day?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Buckethead
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Buckethead
Gold Member
Messages
560
Reaction score
38
Just for fun I wondered about how many photons hit the Hubble telescope from a single star 13 billion LY away during a one day time exposure and came up with about 40 billion photons. Considering that a single star radiates light in all directions to a radius of 13 billion LY, it puts a perspective on just how many photons are out there. I'm not going to reveal how I came up with this number as I'll get laughed out of the forum :wink:. Anyone else care to come up with a number?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
2000 for a star 13 million LY away. With billions, ~1 photon/year.