Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many places in the solar system have liquid water?

1. Mar 16, 2006 #1
    How many places in the solar system do think have liquid water in significant quantities(I would consider the quantities on Enceladus to be significant, and the quantities on Mars to be insignificant)?

I'd bet there are a half dozen or more moons that have liquid water, but does anyone else, possibly more knowledgable than myself want to make a guestimate?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2006 #2
    anyone want to take a stab?

I'll start a list.

4. Apr 2, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I hope you get a decent response to your question. I believe you are right at least about the top list, but my reaction is that it is probably limited to moons of Jupiter and Saturn that are subjected to a TIDAL MASSAGE by their fellow moons. Would you agree? or could you propose some general conditions? So we don't have to work with lists of moons but can think in terms of some general requirements.

And the question would always be "how deep do you have to go?"
  5. Apr 2, 2006 #4
    Uranus, with 13 moons, might also be a good candidate. I can not comment about comets though. A tidal massage is probably the most likely means, although I wouldn't rule out geothermal.

I'm not totally sure about my list. I'm made it by looking for smooth surfaces and evidence of plate tectonics. I might, in some instances, have some difficulty distinguishing plate tectonics from other types of geologic formations.

Personally I'm not so interested in the depth. My primary interest is the volume. This is the reason, Mars was not put on the list.
  6. Apr 2, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me, I'd put Callisto and Dione as possible (not even sure Dione would rate that).

For sure there is 'liquid water' in Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune - for 'liquid water' all you need is the right combo of temperature, pressure, and abundance; isn't there a layer (maybe more than one) in the atmosphere of all these where water clouds can form?
  7. Apr 3, 2006 #6
    That's liquid hydrocarbons, not water.
  8. Apr 3, 2006 #7
    What about Mars?I know it doesn't have water but it did millons of years ago and there might be frozen water still there.
  9. Apr 3, 2006 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is definitely still water ice on Mars (major component of its ice caps). The current question is whether there's underground water (and whether that occasionally comes to the surface in liquid form).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?