1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many segments on a gridded cuboid?

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone,
    So let's say we have a cuboid.
    On the X axis, it's divided to 4 segments (i.e. by 3 lines parallel to z axis) (segx=4).
    On the Y axis, it's divided to 3 segments (i.e. by 2 lines parallel to z axis) (segy=3).
    On the Z axis, it's divided to 8 segments (i.e. by 7 lines parallel to x or y axes) (segz=8).
    Each line between two grid points is called a segment. How many segments are there on the surface of this cube entirely? All the 6 sides are divided as I said (it looks like Rubik's cube!).
    The numbers I said were just an example. I need a formula based on segx and segy and segz for the number of segments on this cuboid.
    I'm working on an algorithm this is needed for. I appreciate any help.
    Thank you so much

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello boyboy400! :smile:

you'll need to count the segments on each face separately, and then add for all six faces :wink:

(except, don't forget not to count the "edge" segments twice!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted