1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many significant digits in 0 and 0.0?

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was helping some chemistry student and there was a homework problem on converting Fahrenheit to Celsius. The first two were 16°F and 16.0°F which were easy, but the last one was 0.0°F which had me wondering about 0 and 0.0.

2. Relevant equations

C° = 5/9(°F - 32) or C° = 1.8(°F - 32), but no trouble with actually calculating the answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem was with the subtraction 0.0 - 32 (assuming 32°F has an infinite number of significant digits)

My thought was that the last 0 in 0.0 is significant even though there's no other nonzero digit to determine whether that last 0 is significant, since the first one is usually placed there by convention. Assuming the last 0 is significant, our answer was -17.8° which I'm sure is right in any case.

After thinking about what was significant in 0.0, I thought about 0.01 which has only one sig fig and the last 0 is just a placeholder, which led to thinking that the last 0 in 0.0 is not significant.

I looked at my edition of the student's textbook for similar problems and see one with converting 0°F to C°. The answer in the back said -18°C which is what I would get with 0°F having just one sig fig. Now, would putting a .0 on the end to make 0.0 make two sig figs?
    How should a person look at these numbers?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You have two significant figures when your calculation is finished. Unfortunately I see no way to formally justify this.

4. Aug 28, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Convert 1.13 deg C to Kelvin :wink:

273.15+1.13 = 274.28 or 274?

Not that I know what the answer to the original question is. Significant digits are faulty by design, and the deeper you look, the more messy it gets.

5. Aug 28, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Converting to Kelvin seems like a good idea for achieving the best accuracy.

6. Aug 29, 2009 #5
    What I learned tells me that the two decimal places in both numbers are significant, so the answer would be 274.28.

After thinking more about it, I'd say that 0 and 0.0 both have one significant digit even though I still can't think of a rule from the textbook that justifies it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook