1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Condition Number and Significant Digits

1. May 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    IF A is nxn matrix, and k(A)=||A||||A^-1|| then a large k(A) means the solution has more significant digits than is k(A) were small true or false?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well k(A) is defined as 10^(k) right so the larger the condition number the more significant digits that you shouldnt trust. So if I had 10^(16) I would have approximatley 16 sig figs that I shouldnt use. Therefore I would think the answer is true if condition number is large then there will be more significant digits just not usable ones right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2014 #2
    I get that the small the k(A) the more reliable a solution is meaning it would have to have an a good amount of sig figs such that it is accurate so maybe it is false hmmm I dont know?

4. May 4, 2014 #3
  5. May 4, 2014 #4
    Ok, I will give that a look.

6. May 4, 2014 #5
    So it is saying that the higher the condition number the larger the error which is what I thought. So I guess what I am supposed to take from this is that the smaller the condition number the more precise the solution, however this problem specifies significant digits not precision so I am gonna go with True.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted