How many soldiers the USA currently has on foreign soil?

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soil Usa
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of US soldiers currently on foreign soil, with the majority being stationed in the Gulf and Germany. The conversation also mentions the use of mercenaries and the reasons for not closing military bases in certain countries. The purpose of the conversation's statistics is to shock and lead to further questions about the need for US military presence in various locations. There is also mention of a member who ignores those who try to expose the intent of the conversation.

Do you know how many soldiers the USA currently has on foreign soil?

• 50,000 in 25 countries.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 100,000 in 50 countries.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 200,000 in 100 countries.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 400,000 in 135 countries.

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
Germany as a whole doesn't, but the little areas around those US bases have lived by supplying them for half a century. To lose them is painful, and "all politics is local." Germany is currently going through an economic downturn, just as the US has been, and the government takes heat there as here when they let a source of income slip away.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmy p said:
Uh, why would Germany's economy crumble?
Like SA said - not the whole German economy, just the towns that the bases are in. Its a huge deal. As in the US, the whole point of getting a seat on the legislature (in practice) is to bring your local politics to a national stage. Even if the town only has 50,000 people, that's 25,000 votors and every one will be pissed if you let them close that base.

Like I said, same reason its so hard to close a base in the US.

Adam said:
Which statement in this thread was worthless? Why do you consider it so? And do you ever do anything other than ad hominems?

I'm MAKING this thread into an actual worthwhiel thread. Something you failed to do after 2 full pages. :rolleyes:

I'm still wondering why phatmonky thinks the world is in imminent danger from Korea and China.

Adam said:
I'm still wondering why phatmonky thinks the world is in imminent danger from Korea and China.

I don't see him saying he thinks the world is in imminent danger from anyone, not even Korea or China...wanna dig that quote up for me? I'm really curious.

You've got S Korea, that is obvious.
You've got japan and the phillipines (training, and a quick strike force in response to Korea (and some would argue China))
Well, there are the words about Korea and China, and requiring a strike force in response.

Adam said:

Kat is right. I didn't say that, and for that reason I refuse to jump down your typical straw man road.

In that case, Phatmonky, please tell me what you meant about Korea and China.

Adam said:
Well, there are the words about Korea and China, and requiring a strike force in response.
Wow, two incomplete sentences qouted out of context. Wonderful.

hey look - more emoticons: :confused: :confused: :confused: <-me still waiting in vain for a point to this thread.

Adam, do you have an opinion to share or not?

hey, i thought i made this thread worthwhile... see the last page and we get a LITTLE bit of continuation... jeez

mer·ce·nar·ies
One who serves or works merely for monetary gain; a hireling.
A professional soldier hired for service in a foreign army.

jimmy p said:
hey, i thought i made this thread worthwhile... see the last page and we get a LITTLE bit of continuation... jeez
You made a good swing at it anyway... I think it was a lost cause right from the start though.

russ_watters said:
Wow, two incomplete sentences qouted out of context. Wonderful.

hey look - more emoticons: :confused: :confused: :confused: <-me still waiting in vain for a point to this thread.

Adam, do you have an opinion to share or not?

Russ_waters, I know it's difficult, but I ask you to remain on topic.

Adam said:
Russ_waters, I know it's difficult, but I ask you to remain on topic.
I'm still looking for it. If I find it, I'll let you know. :rolleyes:

So, do you think Bonds will catch Willie Mays tonight?

Njorl