How many ways can we rearrange the letters in DISCRETE

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of rearranging the letters in the word "DISCRETE" while keeping the E's adjacent and the first letter before the last letter in alphabetical order. The suggested method is to consider the E's as one letter, resulting in 7 distinct letters to work with. The solution involves calculating all possible words and then dividing by 2 to account for the reverse order. The final answer is (7! * 7) / 2.
ZombiesFTW
Hey, new member here. Been viewing this forums for a long time now and used this forum as a resource for help with homework.

Anyways, wasn't sure where to put this problem. I am having trouble setting up the problem.

How many ways can we rearrange the letters in DISCRETE so that the E’s are adjacent and the
first letter precedes the last letter in the standard alphabetical order (e.g. DISCREET is ok, but
TISCREED is not).

I am trying to solve it by realizing there are 8 spaces in that word. Then how many different places can I place the E's so then that would be something like this:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
8*8*6*5*4*3*2*1
6*8*8*5*4*3*2*1
+_________________
Add up each row's product and that would be the answer.

Is this the best way to go about solving this? Or is there an easier way?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think the easiest way to do it is consider the two E's as a single letter thus your words are built from D I S C R EE T - thus you have 7 distinct "letters".

As for have the ordering between the first and last letter, you can ignore this and calculate all possible words then divide by 2 to only consider the correct order. The reason for this factor of two is that all words come in pairs: A word and its reverse. Only one of these will have the ordering between the first and last letter you want.

So then would the answer be 7! / 2?

or

Would it be (7! * 7) / 2

Since it would be
7*6*5*4*3*2*1
6*7*5*4*3*2*1
6*5*7*4*3*2*1
6*5*4*3*2*1*7
+_______________
7! * 7
then divide by two since the order would only work one way.

Last edited:
7!/2 is correct, I don't quite understand how you got 7*7!

1. How many ways can we rearrange the letters in DISCRETE?

There are a total of 5040 ways to rearrange the letters in DISCRETE.

2. Is there a formula for calculating the number of possible arrangements?

Yes, the formula is n! / (n1! * n2! * ... * nk!), where n is the total number of letters and n1, n2, etc. are the number of repetitions of each letter.

3. Can we use combinations to calculate the number of arrangements?

No, combinations are used for selecting a subset of objects, not for rearranging them in different orders.

4. How does the length of the word affect the number of possible arrangements?

The length of the word directly affects the number of possible arrangements. The longer the word, the higher the number of possible arrangements.

5. Is there a difference between rearrangements with and without repetitions?

Yes, rearrangements with repetitions allow for the same letter to be used multiple times in a single arrangement, while rearrangements without repetitions do not. This results in a higher number of possible arrangements with repetitions compared to without.