Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many ways can you determine density?

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    D=m/V

I've know that there is water displacement for volume and also V=4/3πr2 (object is a ball)

Is there any other way to determine density that does not involve directly finding volume?
    I figure that if the object floats (and is not hollow) it is less dense than water, and if it sinks it is more dense, but can I get exact numbers from a similar method to this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I suppose that you might be able to determine the atomic structure somehow (aside from looking it up, I mean). That should eventually lead to specific gravity.

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You haven't mentioned a problem measuring the mass of the ball. Why is measuring the volume of the ball a problem for you?

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

X-ray diffraction patterns yield internuclear spacing in lattices which can be used to calculate densities from packing fractions for lattice types and atomic masses (from mass spectrometry).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook