How can I model a density function of a compressible fluid?

In summary: I am not sure whether this is the kind of density function that you are looking for, but it is a start.
Se Adolf
I have a cylinder of some dimensions. I have a compressible liquid inside. Assuming a constant temperature, no atmosphere, no convection currents within, because it is in a cylinder, there will be no variations in density horizontally (the fluid will have time to settle). Now because there is gravity, the liquid will be pulled down and because the volume of water on top increases as depth increases, the fluid will be more dense at the bottom than at the top. So I pick for example two densities: 0.5 and 1 with 0.5 at the very top of the cylinder and 1 at the very base of it. Something as follows:

https://ibb.co/DCWmTZH

https://ibb.co/DCWmTZH < Sloppy Diagram of what I mean
Picture1.png

So my question is how can I model this? How can I get some kind of density function out of this? Please go easy on me, I don't really do physics, this is for a Mathematics investigation. Thank you in advance for help, I'm kinda desperate at this point :P.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Se Adolf, :welcome:

Perhaps you can find some inspiration in the derivation of the barometric formula ?

For a liquid, the density can be approximated by $$\rho=\rho_0[1+\beta (P-P_0)]$$where ##\rho_0## is the liquid density at pressure ##P_0##, P is the local pressure in the liquid, and ##\beta## is the bulk compressibility of the liquid.

The liquid in the cylinder is under hydrostatic conditions, so the pressure is related to elevation z above the bottom of the cylinder by $$\frac{dP}{dz}=-\rho g$$If we combine these two equations, we obtain: $$\frac{dP}{dz}=-\rho_0 g[1+\beta (P-P_0)]$$If we solve this equation for the pressure P as a function of the elevation z, we obtain:
$$P=P_Be^{-\rho_{0} g \beta z}+\left[P_0-\frac{1}{\beta}\right](1-e^{-\rho_{0} g \beta z})$$
where ##P_B## is the pressure at the base of the cylinder z = 0.

Once the pressure at the base is specified, we can determine the pressure at any elevation in the cylinder. We can also integrate this equation over the height of the cylinder to get the average pressure, and also the average liquid density.

1. What is a density function of a compressible fluid?

A density function of a compressible fluid is a mathematical representation of how the density of the fluid changes with respect to changes in pressure and temperature. It is used to describe the behavior of compressible fluids, which are fluids that can be compressed and have their density change as a result.

2. Why is it important to model a density function of a compressible fluid?

Modeling a density function of a compressible fluid is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the fluid under different conditions, such as changes in pressure and temperature. This information is crucial in many fields, including aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics.

3. What factors are considered when modeling a density function of a compressible fluid?

When modeling a density function of a compressible fluid, factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of fluid being studied are considered. The equation of state for the fluid, which describes the relationship between these factors, is also taken into account.

4. How can a density function of a compressible fluid be represented mathematically?

A density function of a compressible fluid can be represented mathematically using various equations of state, such as the ideal gas law, Van der Waals equation, or Peng-Robinson equation. These equations relate the density of the fluid to its temperature, pressure, and other properties.

5. What are some common methods for modeling a density function of a compressible fluid?

Some common methods for modeling a density function of a compressible fluid include using computer simulations, conducting experiments in a controlled environment, and using mathematical models based on empirical data. The choice of method depends on the specific fluid and the desired level of accuracy.