How much can someone with a phd in physics make?

• Programs
  • Thread starter agent_509
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Physics
In summary, the salary range for someone with a Ph.D. in physics can vary greatly depending on the job they choose. It can range from $0 to hundreds of millions of dollars per year, with the average being around $80 million according to the American Institute of Physics. However, this also depends on the specific sub-field and job, with some positions in research and academia paying less than others in industries such as Wall Street. There is also potential for growth and higher salaries with experience and advancement.
agent_509
I know that you shouldn't get a phd for the money, and you should get one because you want one. I am just wondering how much someone with a phd in physics can make depending on what job they choose.

Physics news on Phys.org
Same range as somebody with a high school diploma can make. Anywhere from $0 to hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Like you said, it depends on what job they choose. What job did you have in mind specifically?

anything involving research in physics. Whether it be being a professor at a research university, working for the government, most anything involving research really.

http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/salary/salary06.htm (from the American Institute of Physics)

Brian May is worth about $80 million, but his PhD is in Astrophysics. I don't know if you're considering the various sub-fields or not.

Troponin said:
Brian May is worth about $80 million, but his PhD is in Astrophysics. I don't know if you're considering the various sub-fields or not.

Ah, but he took that rare and difficult rock-star-to-scientist route :wink:.

okay, thanks for the answers everyone, I think I got what I was looking for from jtbell's link.

agent_509 said:
I know that you shouldn't get a phd for the money, and you should get one because you want one. I am just wondering how much someone with a phd in physics can make depending on what job they choose.

Starting salary for Ph.D. level quants on Wall Street is roughly $100K + $50K bonus. With three years of experience, you make VP level, and that gets you about $150K salary + $100K bonus. Most people stay at VP level for the rest of their careers, but I know physics Ph.D.'s that have gotten into managing director level, and total comp there can be $500K+.

1. How much money can I expect to make with a PhD in physics?

The salary for someone with a PhD in physics can vary greatly depending on factors such as industry, location, and years of experience. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers in 2020 was $122,220.

2. Are there any specific industries that pay higher salaries for PhD physicists?

Yes, industries such as research and development in physical, engineering, and life sciences, as well as federal government agencies, tend to offer higher salaries for PhD physicists.

3. How does the salary for a PhD physicist compare to other professions?

The salary for a PhD physicist is typically higher than the average salary for all occupations, which was $41,950 in 2020. However, it is important to note that the salary can vary greatly depending on location, industry, and other factors.

4. Can a PhD in physics lead to other high-paying job opportunities?

Yes, a PhD in physics can lead to various high-paying job opportunities such as research and development positions in industries like aerospace, pharmaceuticals, and technology. It can also open doors for teaching and consulting roles.

5. Is there potential for salary growth with a PhD in physics?

Yes, there is potential for salary growth with a PhD in physics as you gain more experience and expertise in the field. Many physicists with PhDs also have the opportunity to advance to leadership positions within their organizations, which can come with higher salaries.