1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs How much can someone with a phd in physics make?

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    I know that you shouldn't get a phd for the money, and you should get one because you want one. I am just wondering how much someone with a phd in physics can make depending on what job they choose.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2
    Same range as somebody with a high school diploma can make. Anywhere from $0 to hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Like you said, it depends on what job they choose. What job did you have in mind specifically?

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    anything involving research in physics. Whether it be being a professor at a research university, working for the government, most anything involving research really.

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

6. Aug 27, 2010 #5
    Brian May is worth about $80 million, but his PhD is in Astrophysics. I don't know if you're considering the various sub-fields or not.

7. Aug 27, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, but he took that rare and difficult rock-star-to-scientist route :wink:.

8. Aug 27, 2010 #7
    okay, thanks for the answers everyone, I think I got what I was looking for from jtbell's link.

9. Aug 28, 2010 #8
    Starting salary for Ph.D. level quants on Wall Street is roughly $100K + $50K bonus. With three years of experience, you make VP level, and that gets you about $150K salary + $100K bonus. Most people stay at VP level for the rest of their careers, but I know physics Ph.D.'s that have gotten into managing director level, and total comp there can be $500K+.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook