DreadyPhysics said:
And dark matter isn't simply dark because nothing is shining on it, it's fundamentally a different sort of matter.
I'm sure I'd be ruffling a few feathers if I said that it is for this reason, combined with the 'winding problem' and its associated theory of 'gravitational waves' that I highly doubt dark matter exists at all.
Basically, we observe speeds that suggest two big problems:
1. Break Kepler's 3rd law
2. Contradicts our idea of how old the galaxies are (since galaxy would up from many rotations, but doesn't)
So, in order to preserve what we understand about our 'speed measuring' ability, we have had to come up with two new and unsubstantiated ideas to 'make it work.' I'm sure with some thought we could also come up with many other unsubstantiated theories to resolve the problems. I heard a grade one student suggest there are some bumblebees flying in space that keep moving the stars to new places.
I think we need to be 2nd guessing our 'perceptions' of the speeds that we measure - even though we are so incredibly confident that these are accurate, I think this certainty ought to be less certain that our confidence in Kepler's 3rd law or the age of the galaxies, etc. It is possible to be more likely to have an error in measurements than to have new undetectable phenomena like Dark Matter or Gravitational Waves.
In other words, we are really weighing one against the other: "Dark Matter/Gravitational Waves" versus "Accuracy of Measurements"