What is the mass distribution and rotation curve of galaxy IC1101?

In summary, the conversation discusses IC1101, the largest known galaxy with an unusual mass to light ratio. The speaker wonders about its rotation curve, dark matter size and distribution. They mention finding information on the topic and a potential error in a link provided.
Buckethead
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
what does the dark matter distribution look like in galaxy IC1101
I've been reading up a little on IC1101, the largest known galaxy and there is not a lot of info on it, but it seems to have an unusually large mass to light ratio according to this popular article (see half way down):

According to this article at 20kpc it's got 12:1 mass to light, at 200kpc it's 100:1 and at 1000kpc it's got more than 1000:1. What I'm wondering is what would the rotation curve (or in this case velocity dispersion as it's an eliptical with very little rotation) look like approximately? Similar to let's say Andromeda or a more rapidly rising velocity as we move outward? And what might the dark matter size and distribution look like to come up with numbers like these? I couldn't find any real information in this area doing a search. Thanks.

Likes ohwilleke
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi @masher:

The date 2029 seems to be an error. The link fails to work.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
The date 2029 seems to be an error. The link fails to work.
Link works for me (running Firefox on an old Vista PC):

1642096738730.png

Likes ohwilleke, Astronuc and Buzz Bloom
berkeman said:
Link works for me (running Firefox on an old Vista PC):
Works for me too with Firefox and an old MacBookPro

The eighth paper on the list that I find is https://arxiv.org/abs/1612.06428

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 27% of the universe, but cannot be seen or detected by traditional methods. It does not interact with light, which is why it is called "dark." Its existence is inferred by its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How is dark matter related to galaxy IC1101?

Galaxy IC1101, like all galaxies, is thought to contain dark matter. In fact, it is estimated that about 99% of the total mass of IC1101 is made up of dark matter. This is based on observations of the galaxy's rotation and the gravitational lensing of light passing through it.

3. What is the current understanding of dark matter in galaxy IC1101?

Currently, scientists believe that dark matter in galaxy IC1101 is distributed in a spherical halo surrounding the visible matter of the galaxy. This distribution is based on observations of the galaxy's rotation curve, which shows that the outer regions of the galaxy are moving faster than expected based on the visible matter alone.

4. How does the presence of dark matter in galaxy IC1101 affect its formation and evolution?

The presence of dark matter in galaxy IC1101 is thought to have played a crucial role in its formation and evolution. It is believed that the gravitational pull of dark matter helped to pull in and clump together the gas and dust that eventually formed stars and galaxies. Additionally, the distribution of dark matter in the galaxy's halo affects the movement and interactions of stars and other visible matter within the galaxy.

5. What are some current theories about the nature of dark matter in galaxy IC1101?

There are several theories about the nature of dark matter in galaxy IC1101, but the most widely accepted one is the Cold Dark Matter (CDM) theory. This theory suggests that dark matter is made up of particles that move slowly and do not interact with light. Other theories propose that dark matter could be made up of primordial black holes, or that it could be a manifestation of modified gravity. However, more research and evidence is needed to fully understand the nature of dark matter in galaxy IC1101.