How Much Did Renaldo Sell to Earn $3,025 in a Month?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter nycmathdad
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
nycmathdad
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Each month, Renaldo earns a commission of 10.5% of his total sales for the month, plus a salary of $2,500. If Renaldo earns $3,025 in a certain month, what were his total sales?

Let me see.

Renaldo's commission is 0.105 of his total sales.

I understand this to be 0.105x, where x = his total sales.

Plus a salary of 2,500 dollars.

So far, I have 0.105x + 2,500.

In a certain month, Renaldo earns 3,025 dollars.

I say the equation needed is as follows:

0.105x + 2,500 = 3,025

You say?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Beer soaked non sequitur ramblings follow.
nycmathdad said:
...
You say?
I say 'tis love that makes the world go round.
 
Yes, that is correct.

Now, solve the equation 0.105x + 2,500 = 3,025 for x.
 
Country Boy said:
Yes, that is correct.

Now, solve the equation 0.105x + 2,500 = 3,025 for x.

My concern is not so much solving for x as it is setting up the right equation.
 
The only reason I can think of for setting up an equation is to be able to solve for x!

Frankly, to answer the question originally asked, I wouldn't have set up an equation at all. I would have argued that since his fixed salary was \$2500 and he earned \$3025, the difference, \$3025- 2500= \$525, was commision. Since you get that commission by multiply his sales by 0.105, you can go from commission to sales by dividing \$525 by 0.105: 525/0.105= \$5000.00. He had sales of \$5000.