Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much do you spend on clothes per year?

1. Oct 21, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

How much do you spend on clothes per year? looking through my wardrobe this morning i realised all mine are ancient, the only whistle and flute i had died of moth bite years ago, it seems i only ever buy socks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

whistle and flute?

4. Oct 21, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

On me - $400, on the Evo Child $5,896,758,943.25

5. Oct 21, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whistle and flute - suit.

6. Oct 21, 2006 #5
    About $30. Not that it buys you much, but that's the average. The truth is it's only every 2-3 years or so that I actually wind up buying anything (e.g., sneakers).

It is next to impossible to buy me anything by way of a gift, you see. So most everyone who feels obliged to buy me a gift winds up buying clothes.

Nothing matches, of course, but I've such a huge stockpile from prior years (and such a complete lack of concern over fashion) that I can usually work something out. The results may very well cause those of an overly sensitive nature to cringe, but I am not among that number, and so cannot tell.

7. Oct 21, 2006 #6
    I tend to buy expensive clothes if I am going to buy them. But like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I have some shirts that have lasted me since high school and still look new. The nice thing is, as you have more and more expensive clothes they last longer and you have to buy fewer as time goes by. I think I probably spend around $500 a year at most, and thats only on a few things.

8. Oct 21, 2006 #7
    $500 a year or less.

9. Oct 21, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Hoot, when i spelled suit it just did not seem right :cry:

10. Oct 21, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Wow, ever thought of adopting a rather old son?

11. Oct 21, 2006 #10
    I probably spend about $1000 plus on clothes and I design and make some of my own. (I love designer clothes... bought a lovely silk top just the other day for about $225, ridiculuos price but I love it. It was one of those must haves)

12. Oct 21, 2006 #11

turbo

Gold Member

My wardrobe consists almost entirely of jeans and t-shirts, with some fleece pull-overs and sweatshirts for cooler weather. My wife works for New Balance athletic shoe company and gets a really huge employee discount on top of the already-low factory store prices. New Balance also owns PF Flyer and Dunham boots, so I can get hiking boots, work boots, and running shoes very cheaply. From past sales, I have enough shoes to last me for years. When I was running open-mike blues jams in a local tavern, the beer distributors used to give me free T shirts because I let them use my sound sytem to run little contests during breaks, so I never had to buy any. Still (years later) I have some of them. About the only clothing purchases I have made in the past couple of years were socks - maybe $10-15 bucks tops. I don't own a suit or a sport coat or a necktie or anything that you could consider a "dress" shirt, just a few flannel and denim shirts.

13. Oct 21, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

:surprised , that must put you on par with some one like Madona, i am just thinking that three years of your clothes budget would buy me another bike
    :!!)

14. Oct 21, 2006 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Slacks and shirts for work: $150 per year
    blue jeans: $50
    t-shirts etc: free with every race
    running shoes and stuff: $500

1 new suit every ten years: $40 per year average

hey, priorities

15. Oct 21, 2006 #14
    I really have no idea what my yearly average would be. I am in 2nd year university and am still wearing most of my clothes from high school, I suppose if I had to average a guess I would say average 150 a year but I have no idea. My roommate on the other hand.....can spend 100 bucks a single store quite often for 'retail therapy' haha.

16. Oct 21, 2006 #15
    Umm not quite...

Where do you shop? I would love a pair of $50 jeans! Over here they are like $150+ for a good pair of jeans

Ahh retail therapy is fantastic! You should try it sometime, it makes you feel so much better

17. Oct 21, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I usually spend maybe $300 per year on clothes, sometimes less, but just went shopping today and already passed that limit in one day (but that's only because I found pants that fit, which is so rare that I bought several patterns/colors of the same style). I also just tossed out a ton of old clothes. The weather has turned cold and it was time to pull out the winter clothes and put away the summer clothes, and since I had a bit of time today, I decided to actually get rid of the stuff I haven't worn in a long while because it's too much out of style, as well as the things that no longer fit and the things that have just plain worn out. So, most years I just add a few things here and there to replace worn out stuff, but then every so many years, like this year, I really go through everything and get rid of the really old stuff and replace it with new, so that always costs more.

18. Oct 21, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:surprised I think $50 is expensive for jeans, and prefer if I can find them for closer to $30, but mostly I just don't buy any jeans because none of them fit, no matter what brand or how expensive.

19. Oct 21, 2006 #18
    I use to have that problem. I've got a big butt and tiny waist so jeans (and any pants for that matter) were difficult to find but I do find that the more expensive places sell me jeans that fit

20. Oct 21, 2006 #19
    I usually find colthes that i like, and wear those untill they just shouldnt be warn anymore. Whatever is most comfortable is what i get, which is what usually tends to be on sale. I dont spend much at all, but with my sister in 8th grade her cobined total has to be over $1,000, it's just crazy...

21. Oct 21, 2006 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's $50 for two pair of jeans. Levi's 560 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?