How much do you spend on clothes per year?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per Year
In summary: I usually spend maybe $300 per year on clothes, sometimes less, but just went shopping today and already passed that limit in one day (but that's...normal for me).I shop at secondhand stores, big box stores, and online. I like finding good deals on clothes and I'm not afraid to try on clothes to see if they fit. I also like to sew my own clothes, but that's about it for my fashion sense. On me - $400, on the Evo Child $5,896,758,943.25Whistle and flute - suit.In summary, Hoot spends about $500 a year on clothes, mostly on designer clothes.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How much do you spend on clothes per year? looking through my wardrobe this morning i realized all mine are ancient, the only whistle and flute i had died of moth bite years ago, it seems i only ever buy socks.

Physics news on Phys.org
whistle and flute?

wolram said:
How much do you spend on clothes per year? looking
On me - $400, on the Evo Child $5,896,758,943.25

Math Is Hard said:
whistle and flute?
Whistle and flute - suit.

wolram said:
How much do you spend on clothes per year?

About $30. Not that it buys you much, but that's the average. The truth is it's only every 2-3 years or so that I actually wind up buying anything (e.g., sneakers).

It is next to impossible to buy me anything by way of a gift, you see. So most everyone who feels obliged to buy me a gift winds up buying clothes.

Nothing matches, of course, but I've such a huge stockpile from prior years (and such a complete lack of concern over fashion) that I can usually work something out. The results may very well cause those of an overly sensitive nature to cringe, but I am not among that number, and so cannot tell.

I tend to buy expensive clothes if I am going to buy them. But like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I have some shirts that have lasted me since high school and still look new. The nice thing is, as you have more and more expensive clothes they last longer and you have to buy fewer as time goes by. I think I probably spend around $500 a year at most, and that's only on a few things.

$500 a year or less.

Hootenanny said:
Whistle and flute - suit.

Thanks Hoot, when i spelled suit it just did not seem right :cry:

Evo said:

Wow, ever thought of adopting a rather old son?

I probably spend about $1000 plus on clothes and I design and make some of my own. (I love designer clothes... bought a lovely silk top just the other day for about $225, ridiculuos price but I love it. It was one of those must haves)

My wardrobe consists almost entirely of jeans and t-shirts, with some fleece pull-overs and sweatshirts for cooler weather. My wife works for New Balance athletic shoe company and gets a really huge employee discount on top of the already-low factory store prices. New Balance also owns PF Flyer and Dunham boots, so I can get hiking boots, work boots, and running shoes very cheaply. From past sales, I have enough shoes to last me for years. When I was running open-mike blues jams in a local tavern, the beer distributors used to give me free T shirts because I let them use my sound system to run little contests during breaks, so I never had to buy any. Still (years later) I have some of them. About the only clothing purchases I have made in the past couple of years were socks - maybe $10-15 bucks tops. I don't own a suit or a sport coat or a necktie or anything that you could consider a "dress" shirt, just a few flannel and denim shirts.

rhuthwaite said:
I probably spend about $1000 plus on clothes and I design and make some of my own. (I love designer clothes... bought a lovely silk top just the other day for about $225, ridiculuos price but I love it. It was one of those must haves)
, that must put you on par with some one like Madona, i am just thinking that three years of your clothes budget would buy me another bike
:!)

Slacks and shirts for work: $150 per year
blue jeans: $50
t-shirts etc: free with every race
running shoes and stuff: $500

1 new suit every ten years: $40 per year average

hey, priorities

I really have no idea what my yearly average would be. I am in 2nd year university and am still wearing most of my clothes from high school, I suppose if I had to average a guess I would say average 150 a year but I have no idea. My roommate on the other hand...can spend 100 bucks a single store quite often for 'retail therapy' haha.

wolram said:
, that must put you on par with some one like Madona

Umm not quite...

blue jeans: $50
Where do you shop? I would love a pair of $50 jeans! Over here they are like $150+ for a good pair of jeans

can spend 100 bucks a single store quite often for 'retail therapy' haha.
Ahh retail therapy is fantastic! You should try it sometime, it makes you feel so much better

Evo said:
:smile:

I usually spend maybe $300 per year on clothes, sometimes less, but just went shopping today and already passed that limit in one day (but that's only because I found pants that fit, which is so rare that I bought several patterns/colors of the same style). I also just tossed out a ton of old clothes. The weather has turned cold and it was time to pull out the winter clothes and put away the summer clothes, and since I had a bit of time today, I decided to actually get rid of the stuff I haven't worn in a long while because it's too much out of style, as well as the things that no longer fit and the things that have just plain worn out. So, most years I just add a few things here and there to replace worn out stuff, but then every so many years, like this year, I really go through everything and get rid of the really old stuff and replace it with new, so that always costs more.

rhuthwaite said:
Where do you shop? I would love a pair of $50 jeans! Over here they are like $150+ for a good pair of jeans
I think $50 is expensive for jeans, and prefer if I can find them for closer to $30, but mostly I just don't buy any jeans because none of them fit, no matter what brand or how expensive.

I use to have that problem. I've got a big butt and tiny waist so jeans (and any pants for that matter) were difficult to find but I do find that the more expensive places sell me jeans that fit

I usually find colthes that i like, and wear those until they just shouldn't be warn anymore. Whatever is most comfortable is what i get, which is what usually tends to be on sale. I don't spend much at all, but with my sister in 8th grade her cobined total has to be over $1,000, it's just crazy...

rhuthwaite said:
That's $50 for two pair of jeans. Levi's 560 .

Thats mad! Can't believe it.

I can't believe you lot can spend so little on clothes. I've gone way past my limit this year! :rolleyes: But it wasn't really my fault because had to go to a ball and the dress was expensive but I love it. Here it is:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4586/pict0993mu7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
rhuthwaite said:
I can't believe you lot can spend so little on clothes. I've gone way past my limit this year! :rolleyes: But it wasn't really my fault because had to go to a ball and the dress was expensive but I love it. Here it is:
You are very pretty, and you don't need clothing to make you look better. Catch a clue! Any money you spend beyond a simple black dress and heels is wasted.

Best Regards
turbo-1

turbo-1 said:
You are very pretty, and you don't need clothing to make you look better. Catch a clue! Any money you spend beyond a simple black dress and heels is wasted.
Advice from a guy. :smile: Sad as it may sound, those simple black dresses likely cost just as much as the pretty, colorful gown. I'm not a huge fan of the "little black dress" anyway. If you're going to go to a formal dance, it's much more fun to wear something colorful and not look like everyone else there. (It's my one "girly" trait...fortunately, balls are not a common thing in my social circle, so I don't have to spend to indulge it so often.)

Yeah I've got LBDs but they are more for hitting town or going out to dinner and partys, this was just something different and eye catching.

Moonbear said:
Advice from a guy. :smile: Sad as it may sound, those simple black dresses likely cost just as much as the pretty, colorful gown. I'm not a huge fan of the "little black dress" anyway. If you're going to go to a formal dance, it's much more fun to wear something colorful and not look like everyone else there. (It's my one "girly" trait...fortunately, balls are not a common thing in my social circle, so I don't have to spend to indulge it so often.)
This "advice from a guy' is advice from someone who has spent many years photographing people and making them look good. For the most part, less is more. If you are starting with a an already-lovely person with a fresh look, it is better to accent those positives with a neutral "wrapping" and a background that highlights her strengths than to elaborate. This lady needs no elaboration, only framing.

turbo-1 said:
This "advice from a guy' is advice from someone who has spent many years photographing people and making them look good. For the most part, less is more. If you are starting with a an already-lovely person with a fresh look, it is better to accent those positives with a neutral "wrapping" and a background that highlights her strengths than to elaborate. This lady needs no elaboration, only framing.
That's all good if she's just posing for a portrait, but for a fancy ball, you're supposed to dress fancy. That's half the fun, dressing up in a beautiful gown. :wink:

Well thanks guys

rhuthwaite said:
Ahh retail therapy is fantastic! You should try it sometime, it makes you feel so much better

Lol no not for me, I hate clothes shopping, I only like shopping when its for something fun like motorcycles...haha I have always been such a daddy's girl :-p

turbo-1 said:
You are very pretty, and you don't need clothing to make you look better.
I entirely agree, Ruth; I'd far rather see you without it. :-p
As for the dress in the picture, it's absolutely gorgeous, I love it... but at the same time I can't quite lose the impression that Timothy Leary threw up on you. Strange.
And I'd say that the picture refutes your previous comment about having a fat ass. Everything looks pretty damned good.
Just out of curiosity, are those pearls threaded through your ear, or just pinned to it? :confused:

By the bye, am I the only straight guy here who watches 'Fashion File'? Lots of see-through stuff, and some good ideas for Hallowe'en outfits.

Last edited:
I entirely agree, Ruth; I'd far rather see you without it. :-p
Haha Danger you dirty man! :rolleyes:
And those pearls you see are in my hair not my ear. But thanks for your ahhh sort of compliments... :blushing:

scorpa said:
Lol no not for me, I hate clothes shopping, I only like shopping when its for something fun like motorcycles...haha I have always been such a daddy's girl :-p
I agree, I absolutely HATE shopping! You should have seen how grumpy I was by the time I was done shopping yesterday. But, I needed some new winter clothes, because the Donald Duck look really just isn't "in" this year, and seems a bit chilly for winter anyway. I also get so annoyed at the registers that every time you go to pay for something, they have to stop to ask you if you have the store credit card, and do you want one, and what discount you get if you sign up right then...and I just want them to get to ringing up the purchase so I can get out of there! One cashier looked at me a bit askew when she asked if I had a store credit card and I answered, "No, I don't, and I don't want one, and I know there's a discount if I sign up now, but I'm still not interested, and I'm also not interested in any other special offers or to be added to your mailing list for coupons, thanks."

I think I managed to avoid any places where people earn commission for sales at least. That always drives me nuts when the sales staff keep popping out of nowhere to ask if I need any help. I think next time I'm in one of those places, I'll tell the first salesperson to walk up to me that if she tells me her name, I'll make sure she gets credit for the sale if I buy something as long as she keeps all the other salespeople away from me and leaves me to shop in peace.

I prefer to know my clothes. I don't like the touch of strangers that intimately.

Moonbear said:
I think I managed to avoid any places where people earn commission for sales at least. That always drives me nuts when the sales staff keep popping out of nowhere to ask if I need any help. I think next time I'm in one of those places, I'll tell the first salesperson to walk up to me that if she tells me her name, I'll make sure she gets credit for the sale if I buy something as long as she keeps all the other salespeople away from me and leaves me to shop in peace.

Ughhh I worked at a place like that for a very very short time. We only earned 1% commission on what we sold, but the second someone walked in the door the people who worked there were on them asking if they wanted help. My boss actually told me to just go help them without asking, just go start finding them things to try on and not give them a choice. Then if the customer told us they didn't want help we were supposed to 'hover' near them and pretend we were straightening things up, and give them suggestions while they looked. I wouldn't listen to her though, I just said hi to them when they came in the door and let them look on their own, only going to help them if they asked for it or looked really lost. Most days I sold the most, and ended up with some regular customers that always asked for me (and I was only there 2 weeks) :rolleyes: Funniest part was it was a leather store oriented towards motorcycle gear and no one there but me knowed anything about bikes, I had to try to teach them as I went along. I just hung out and bs'd with the bikers about motorcycles and sold tons without even trying...man that irritated the rest of them. I hated that place, I only lasted 2 weeks, definitely learned retail is not for me. I only took the job in the first place because it was so close to where I live, and because it was a leather store where bikers went, but it wasn't even close to worth it. These people were the exact reason I hated shopping, when I go shopping I want to be left ALONE but they just don't get it

Last edited:
I have always hated shopping for clothes, and now that I am so sensitive to perfumes and fragrances (even masking fragrances in "unscented" products) I can't shop anyway. The chance for a severe asthma/migraine attack is too great, so I order stuff on-line or my wife buys it for me. The last thing I bought in a retail environment was my '05 Softail. The H-D place in Augusta tried the old bait-and-switch, telling me that they had a base-level Softail in stock (no extras) when they didn't, and then trying to sell me one with smooth spoked wheels, pearl paint and a security system (all expensive and essentially useless upgrades). After I gave the salesman enough crap, I got out my cell phone and called Schott's in Lewiston. They said that they had a black base-level Softail in stock, so I told the salesman to hold it for a half-hour. I drove down, negotiated about $600 off the price, and wrote them a personal check. I had never bought anything there before, but they never even asked to see any ID. THAT's my kind of shopping! As for leather, my jacket and chaps are only about 10 years old - they're just getting broken in.