Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many hours a week do you spend in grad school?

1. <30

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. 30-40

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. 40-50

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 50-60

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. 60-70

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 70-80

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. >80

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jun 8, 2009 #1
    I just wanted to get an idea of how much time people spend in physics graduate school on an average week. This includes anything you do necessary for your degree, including coursework, teaching, research, and so on. I'm passionate about pursuing physics, and I'm not expecting it to be easy or relaxed, but I would like to get an idea if it is beyond my limits.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So anything necessary includes homework correct? Remember, depending on what grad school and your needs and circumstances, you may not teach or do research (at times) or even be taking real classes!

4. Jun 8, 2009 #3
    My first year I spent about 60-70 hours working on any given week. After I passed my qualifier it became a heck of a lot easier. During the summers I usually spend 40 hours a week at work on research. During the school year I'm usually taking one class, which adds an additional 5 to 8 hours per week.

5. Jun 8, 2009 #4
    Haha, your poll only goes up to 80 hours...

A little math:

(24 hrs - 6 hr)*7 = 126 hours a week

And you expect to spend only 60% of that working?

6. Jun 8, 2009 #5
    I typically work from the hours of 2pm (when I wake up) until 4:30-5 am.

Of that time, probably 80% is doing work.

Thats roughly 98 hours a week.

I spent the entire last week working on a poster, and the week before that I had to work on a presentation for the client on friday. I'll probably drive down to NASA later this week which is a 10 hour drive both ways. I was at a conference this morning. But for now, I can go back to some actual research. I'll start part time work mid month hopefully at an Aerospace company hopefully.

Very very busy.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  7. Jun 8, 2009 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If anyone doesn't answer, "All of them," I'm going to report you to your mentors! :biggrin:

8. Jun 8, 2009 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Most of the time I work around 10-6, 5 days a week, and over the weekend if I've nothing else to do. Of course, there are weeks that are busier, because you're, say, pretty close to finishing a calculation, or writing something up, but then there are weeks that are quieter (the creative juices don't flow all the time!)

As I'm sure you'll find out from this thread, people work best with wildly different schedules.. you've just got to find which suits you.

9. Jun 8, 2009 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That probably says it best!

10. Jun 8, 2009 #9
    Oh crap, don't tell him that I have a life outside of the office! My advisor thinks that when I'm at home I'm working remotely.

11. Jun 8, 2009 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: This thread is starting to read like one of the PhD Comics. :rofl:

12. Jun 8, 2009 #11

drizzle

Gold Member

I’d say most of my free time devoted for physics, so sure it's >80.

13. Jun 8, 2009 #12
    Your clearly not a grad student if your 'free time' is devoted to physics.

14. Jun 8, 2009 #13

drizzle

Gold Member

well does it have to be for study?! what about intrest

15. Jun 8, 2009 #14
    Did you read my post?

16. Jun 8, 2009 #15

drizzle

Gold Member

why don't spell it out!

17. Jun 8, 2009 #16
    If you cant understand my post, again, clearly not a grad student. Go back to your cave undergrad. You're not worthy.

18. Jun 8, 2009 #17

drizzle

Gold Member

is it a waste of time to argue with you!! what does it have to do spending more time reading with being a graduate student or not!

19. Jun 8, 2009 #18
    How about you reread the title of this thread. See, that's why you're an undergrad.

20. Jun 8, 2009 #19

drizzle

Gold Member

good for you, you typed that well!

21. Jun 8, 2009 #20
    That's because I'm a grad student.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook