How Much Does the Rope Stretch When a Circus Performer Hangs at Rest?

• Thread starter smillphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillating
In summary, the circus performer, who weighs 57.0 kg, oscillates at the end of a long elastic rope at a rate of once every 7.20 s. The elastic rope follows Hooke's Law and the performer hangs at rest. The equation T=2pi*sqrt(m/k) is used to calculate the period, where m is the mass and k is the spring constant. By plugging in the given values, k is found to be 4.2. However, when using the equation kx=mg to calculate the extended length of the rope, a wrong answer of 133m is obtained. After further calculations and considering that 7.2 seconds is equivalent to 1 oscillation, a
smillphysics
A 57.0 kg circus performer oscillates up and down at the end of a long elastic rope at a rate of once every 7.20 s. The elastic rope obeys Hooke's Law. By how much is the rope extended beyond its unloaded length when the performer hangs at rest

T=2pi* sqrt m/k
kx=mg

7.2sec=2pi*sqrt 57/k, then sq. rt k= 2pi*sqrt 57/1.2 , I get k=4.2
then I put k into the second equation to get x=133m which is the wrong answer- What am I doing incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Period is the number of oscillations in 1 second

so in 7.20 seconds there is 1 oscillation. How many oscillations in 1 second? That will give you T.

Ok so that gives me 1oscillation in 7.2 sec which is 1/7.2=.139 , then the sq rot of k= 2pi*sqrt m/period which gives me a k=11.28. I plug that into the equation 57*9.8/11.28 and get x=49.5m which is still wrong? So Not sure where I am going wrong here.

Related to How Much Does the Rope Stretch When a Circus Performer Hangs at Rest?

What is a circus performer oscillating?

A circus performer oscillating refers to a circus act in which the performer performs feats of balance and precision while swinging or moving back and forth in a controlled manner.

What skills are required for a circus performer oscillating?

A circus performer oscillating must have excellent balance, coordination, and strength. They must also be able to control their movements and have a strong sense of timing.

What equipment is used in circus performer oscillating?

The equipment used in circus performer oscillating can vary, but typically includes items such as ropes, hoops, trapezes, and other aerial equipment. Some performers may also use props such as balls or clubs.

What are some safety precautions for circus performer oscillating?

Safety is of utmost importance in circus performer oscillating. Performers must undergo extensive training and be physically fit to ensure they can safely perform their acts. Safety mats and spotters are also used to minimize the risk of injury.

How can someone become a circus performer oscillating?

Becoming a circus performer oscillating typically requires years of training and practice. Many performers start at a young age and train with experienced professionals. It is also important to have a strong background in dance, gymnastics, or other physical activities.