How Much Energy Can We Obtain from 211g of Peanuts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hannah1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Hannah1
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How much energy can we obtain from 211g of peanuts. (Remember c = speed of light = 3 E 8 m/s) Remember to write your answer to two decimal places and for example 4.56x10^8 must be written as 4.56E8

Homework Equations


E = mc2
c = 300,000,000 m/sec

The Attempt at a Solution


211 g = 0.211 kg
E = (0.211)(300,000,000)2
E = 7.21899e+18

Energy = 7.22E18 Joules

Am I correct??
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hannah1! :smile:
Hannah1 said:
E = (0.211)(300,000,000)2
E = 7.21899e+18

You seem to have entered 80.211 into your calculator. :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Hannah1! :smile:You seem to have entered 80.211 into your calculator. :wink:

You're right! My bad. I tried again and this is what I got:
E = (0.211)(300,000,000)2
E = 1.899e+16

Therefore, Energy = 1.90E16 Joules.

Am I correct now??
 
(just got up :zzz:)
Hannah1 said:
You're right! My bad. I tried again and this is what I got:
E = (0.211)(300,000,000)2
E = 1.899e+16

Therefore, Energy = 1.90E16 Joules.

Am I correct now??

he he :biggrin:

yes :smile:
 
tiny-tim said:
(just got up :zzz:)


he he :biggrin:

yes :smile:


Thank you! :smile: