How much energy did the Thanos snap release, approximately?

In summary, the snap created an imbalance in the space-time continuum that caused the universe to shrink in size by 50%.
Maximum7
In Avengers: Infinity Wars Thanos had the Infinity Gauntlet and when he snapped his fingers it wiped out 50% of life in the universe. Roughly, how much energy do you think the snap generated assuming the universe IS finite in size (since an infinite universe cannot have any percentage) AND the universe has planets with life on it in a medium-amount? Meaning life isn’t ultra rare but it isn’t like every habitable planet in every galaxy has life.

I’m looking for a rough estimate. In joules (preferably)

Physics news on Phys.org
And how much energy does it take to de-rez one individual? And how many individuals are there?

Likes BillTre
I don't think this as answerable since there is no way to know the size/amount of life or what happened to it. So it depends entirely on anyone's choice of approach and assumptions.

Likes BillTre
Grelbr42 said:
And how much energy does it take to de-rez one individual? And how many individuals are there?

I’m not entirely sure

Didn't the effect of the snap travel faster than light? So how would you even begin to start?

I'm taking the easy way out and just defining the answer to be equal to one Thanosnap, where a Thanosnap is the energy required to vaporize half of all life in the universe.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes Tom.G, ChemAir, Hornbein and 3 others
Why does it need to take any energy at all? It it IS magic, after all.

• Love
  • Informative
Likes Rive, BillTre, nsaspook and 1 other person
phinds (sort of) has a point. There's no reason to think any energy was released. They didn't blow up; they simply turned to dust. Maybe all the snap did was spirit the H2O molecules away, leaving the atoms to just blow away in the breeze. That's a plausible fit to observation.

DaveC426913 said:
phinds (sort of) has a point.
Hm ... Gramatically, what you have said is that I am only sort of phinds. I'm pretty sure I'm the real thing.

diction-police-badge.jpg

• Wow
Likes confusedandroid and BillTre
Sort-of-phinds has a point.

Likes BillTre and phinds
dhinps is a sort of phinds.

• Haha
Likes Rive, DrClaude, phinds and 2 others
Drakkith said:
one Thanosnap,
Or 100 centithanossnaps for those who prefer cgs.

Likes Rive and Drakkith
Maximum7 said:
Roughly, how much energy do you think the snap generated assuming the universe IS finite in size
Waste of brain cells to make sense to nonsense, but anyway, here is my take: since it was not some death wave but a transition between different states of a fairly closed system, after deducting the sufficient amount of magic involved zero should be just as sufficient answer as anything else.

1. How was the energy of the Thanos snap calculated?

The energy of the Thanos snap was estimated using the mass-energy equivalence formula, E=mc². The mass of the universe was calculated using the known mass of the Milky Way galaxy and the estimated number of galaxies in the observable universe. This was then multiplied by the speed of light squared to get the total energy released.

2. What was the estimated energy released by the Thanos snap?

The estimated energy released by the Thanos snap was approximately 2.7 x 10^54 joules. This is equivalent to the energy produced by 6.4 x 10^43 megatons of TNT, which is 12 billion times the energy released by the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945.

3. How does the energy of the Thanos snap compare to other catastrophic events?

The energy released by the Thanos snap is significantly greater than any known catastrophic event in human history. It is estimated to be more than 100 trillion times the energy released by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD and 10 million times the energy released by the impact of the asteroid that led to the extinction of the dinosaurs.

4. Could the energy of the Thanos snap be harnessed for practical use?

The energy of the Thanos snap is far beyond our current technological capabilities to harness. It is also highly unlikely that it could be controlled or directed in any way, as it was a spontaneous and chaotic event. Therefore, it is not feasible to harness this energy for practical use.

5. Is there a possibility that the energy of the Thanos snap could have been greater or less than the estimated amount?

Since the Thanos snap is a fictional event in the Marvel universe, the estimated energy released is based on assumptions and calculations using known scientific principles. Therefore, it is possible that the actual energy released could be slightly different. However, the estimated amount is considered to be a close approximation.