How Much Force Did the Pitcher Exert on the Fastest Baseball Pitch?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kaiazad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
kaiazad
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The fastest pitched baseball was clocked at 46 m/s. If the pitcher exerted his force (assumed to be horizontal and constant) over a distance of 1.0 m, and a baseball has a mass of 145 g.
What force did the pitcher exert on the ball during this record-setting pitch?

Homework Equations


f=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


I know that Newtons are (kg*m)/sec^2, but I only have a velocity, not an acceleration, so I can't figure out the right force.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kaiazad said:

Homework Statement


The fastest pitched baseball was clocked at 46 m/s. If the pitcher exerted his force (assumed to be horizontal and constant) over a distance of 1.0 m, and a baseball has a mass of 145 g.
What force did the pitcher exert on the ball during this record-setting pitch?

Homework Equations


f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that Newtons are (kg*m)/sec^2, but I only have a velocity, not an acceleration, so I can't figure out the right force.

Not to give away the answer: There is a formula that relates acceleration, initial velocity, final velocity, and distance traveled. Since you know three of the four items, with it you can find the acceleration, and hence the force.

Go find it in your textbook.