How Much Heat is Needed to Convert Ice at -10C to Steam at 110C?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bommie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thermochemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
bommie
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
How much heat (in joules) must be added to change 20.0g of H2O(s) at -10C to steam at 110C? The specific heat of H2O(s) is 2.09 J/gC; of H2O(L) is 4.184 J/gC; and of H2O(g) is 1.84 J/gC. The heat fusion of water is 334.7 J/g and the heat vaporization of water is 2259.4J/g.I feel like we have to find the temp for s ---> l and then l ---> g. But I'm completely lost; I don't understand Thermochemistry.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Split it into separate parts - you have to warm up ice till it can be melted, you have to melt it, you have to warm the the water till boiling point, you have to boil it, you finally have to warm up steam. Then add everything.

--
methods