Chemistry: Heat of Sublimation and Hydrogem Bonds Problem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
komarxian
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Using the heats of fusion and vaporization for water, calculate the change in enthalpy for the sublimation of water:

H2O(s) --> H2O(g

Using the delta H value given in Exercise 24 and the number of hydrogen bonds formed to each water molecule, estimate what portion of the intermolecular forces in ice can be accounted for by hydrogen bonding.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I have already figured out the first portion of the problem, finding the change in enthalpy of sublimation ( I got 46.7 kJ/mol ), but I'm really not sure as to how to attack the portion of IMF and hydrogen bonding. Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
And what was the ΔH value given in the exercise 24? ΔH of what?
 
Borek said:
And what was the ΔH value given in the exercise 24? ΔH of what?
I believe it's -21 kJ/mol
 
Borek said:
ΔH of what?
of the reaction H20 (g) + HOH (g) -> H2O --- HOH (in ice)