Calculating Heat Transfer in Melting Ice: A Thermochemistry Problem

In summary, the problem is asking how much ice will melt if 13.4 kJ of heat is applied to 1 kg of ice at 0ºC. The equations needed are the change of heat for temperature (Q=m*c*ΔT) and the change of heat for melting (Q=m*L), where L is the latent heat of fusion. Using these equations and given constants, the calculation yields 40g of ice melted.
ThePageHendrix

Homework Statement

If 13.4 kJ of heat is added 1.00 kg of ice at 0ºC, how much ice will be melted

Homework Equations

Change of Heat = mass*change of temperature*constant

change of heat fusion (water) = 333 J/g

change of heat water vapor = 2260 J/g

change of heat total = change of heat (state) + change of heat (temp change)

constant of water = 4.184 J/gºC

constant of ice = 2.1 J/gºC

The Attempt at a Solution

(1000g)(2.1J/gºC)(?-0) + (13400g*333J/gºC)

Answer = 40g

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ThePageHendrix. Welcome to Physics Forums!

If it takes 333 kj to melt the entire 1 kg of ice, how much ice will only 13.4 kj melt?

Chet

Thanks for answering!

Sorry, but it takes 333 joules, not kj, to melt the ice. I'm sorry, but I am just really lost on how to approach this problem.

Any more help is appreciated, thanks!

ThePageHendrix said:
Thanks for answering!

Sorry, but it takes 333 joules, not kj, to melt the ice. I'm sorry, but I am just really lost on how to approach this problem.

Any more help is appreciated, thanks!
It takes 333J to melt 1 gm; it takes 333kJ to melt 1 kg.

ThePageHendrix said:
Change of Heat = mass*change of temperature*constant

This equation describes amount of heat when dealing with the temperature change. When the ice melts, temperature doesn't change (in such cases we say it is a "latent heat"). Latent heat requires different equation. Chet already pointed you at the intuition behind the other equation you need.

1. What is HS Thermochemistry Problem?

HS Thermochemistry Problem is a type of problem that involves using the principles of thermodynamics to calculate the heat flow and energy changes in a system. It is commonly encountered in chemistry and physics courses at the high school level.

2. What are some common types of HS Thermochemistry Problems?

Some common types of HS Thermochemistry Problems include calculating the change in enthalpy, determining the heat of reaction, and solving for the specific heat capacity of a substance.

3. How do I approach solving an HS Thermochemistry Problem?

The first step is to identify the given information and the unknown quantity. Then, use the appropriate thermodynamic equations and principles to set up and solve the problem. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct sign conventions for heat flow and energy changes.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving HS Thermochemistry Problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include mixing up the signs of heat and energy values, using the wrong units, and not considering the state of the substances involved (solid, liquid, gas). It is also important to double check calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given information.

5. How can I improve my understanding of HS Thermochemistry Problems?

Practice is key when it comes to understanding HS Thermochemistry Problems. Make sure to review and understand the thermodynamic principles involved, and work through a variety of practice problems to solidify your understanding. It can also be helpful to seek additional resources or ask for clarification from a teacher or tutor if needed.