How Much Heat is Needed to Vaporize Ethyl Alcohol from -50°C to Boiling Point?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
format1998
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How much heat is required to change 1.75 L of Ethyl Alcohol (C2H6O) at -50.0°C to a gas at its boiling point?

Ethyl Alcohol
V = 1.75 L
Ti = -50°C

46 g/mol
density = 0.789 g/cm3
boiling point = 78°C
specific heat (c)= 2400 J/kg*C°
Heat of Vaporization (Lv) = 850*103 J/kg

Homework Equations



density m = ρV

specific heat Q = mcΔT

latent heat Q = mLv


The Attempt at a Solution



First I determined the mass of the Ethyl Alcohol

m = ρV = (0.789 g/cm3) (1750 cm3) = 1380.75 g = 1.38075 kg

Then I solve for QNET

QNET = (mcΔT)l + mLv

QNET = [1.38 kg (2400 J/kg*C°) (78°C - (-50°C)] + [1.38 kg (850*103 J/kg)] = 1.60 * 106 J

According to the answer sheet, the answer is 4.24*105 J
What am I doing wrong?


Thank you in advance! Any and all help is appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer sheet apparently has only accounted for the heat required to raise the temperature of the liquid ethanol from -50C to 78C.
 
So, did I do it correctly? It did say that "to a gas" . From my understanding of the problem as worded, I have to account for the amount of heat required to bring it to its boiling point, as well as the amount of heat required to turn it into a gas, right? Or did I do it incorrectly and I'm only suppose to calculate the amount of heat needed to bring it to the boiling point?