How much ice must melt at 0 deg. C to gain 6 g of mass?

Homework Statement

This is all that is given.

How much ice must melt at 0 deg. C to gain 6 g of mass?

Homework Equations

I don't know any Relevant equations to this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried leaving mass as a variable and using Latent Heat Energys too. I have no idea what to set equal to what because i don't have equations to work with this problem.

Answers and Replies

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmm I think some use of E=mc2 is needed here. If you can find the energy of 6g then assume that is the energy 'absorbed' by a block of ice to turn it to water.

rdx
Huh?

Hmm I think some use of E=mc2 is needed here. If you can find the energy of 6g then assume that is the energy 'absorbed' by a block of ice to turn it to water.
When the ice melts, energy is absorbed. I get an equiv of 6g = 1.3e14 cal and it takes 79.71 cal/g to melt ice. So it seems to require 1.617e6 metric tons, a cube about 117 m on a side.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When the ice melts, energy is absorbed. I get an equiv of 6g = 1.3e14 cal and it takes 79.71 cal/g to melt ice. So it seems to require 1.617e6 metric tons, a cube about 117 m on a side.
Well thats how I'd do it. If you can see any other intention in the question please feel free to contribute.

I must say if you're going to post in other peoples threads in the homework section. Do not post what could be considered full answers as this is against the rules (even if you have doubts over the method).

rdx
Well thats how I'd do it. If you can see any other intention in the question please feel free to contribute.

I must say if you're going to post in other peoples threads in the homework section. Do not post what could be considered full answers as this is against the rules (even if you have doubts over the method).
"Against the rules?" How very strange. I seems to assume a monolithic learning style. Where rules?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member