1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much ice must melt at 0 deg. C to gain 6 g of mass?

1. Feb 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is all that is given.

How much ice must melt at 0 deg. C to gain 6 g of mass?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know any Relevant equations to this problem.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried leaving mass as a variable and using Latent Heat Energys too. I have no idea what to set equal to what because i don't have equations to work with this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm I think some use of E=mc2 is needed here. If you can find the energy of 6g then assume that is the energy 'absorbed' by a block of ice to turn it to water.

4. Feb 14, 2007 #3

rdx

Huh?

When the ice melts, energy is absorbed. I get an equiv of 6g = 1.3e14 cal and it takes 79.71 cal/g to melt ice. So it seems to require 1.617e6 metric tons, a cube about 117 m on a side.

5. Feb 14, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well thats how I'd do it. If you can see any other intention in the question please feel free to contribute.

I must say if you're going to post in other peoples threads in the homework section. Do not post what could be considered full answers as this is against the rules (even if you have doubts over the method).

6. Feb 14, 2007 #5

rdx

"Against the rules?" How very strange. I seems to assume a monolithic learning style. Where rules?

7. Feb 14, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?