Thermodynamics, bullet melting ice problem

In summary: But that's not really relevant to the main question of determining the bullet's speed.In summary, the problem involves an ice cube at its melting temperature being struck by a bullet with a mass of 9 g. One third of the bullet's energy is used to break the ice, with the remainder being used to melt it. Using the equation q=1/2mv^2, we can determine the speed of the bullet to be approximately 1494 m/s. However, the expected answer is 1060 m/s, which may be due to a mistake in the given values or missing a factor of 1/2 in the equation.
Vitalius6189

Homework Statement

An ice cube at the melting temperature that has a mass of 20 g, is struck by a bullet with
a mass of 9 g, flying at a certain speed. Determine the speed of the bullet, if it is known that
one third of his energy was consumed to break the ice, and the remainder to melt it.
Latent ice melting heat λt= 335 kJ / kg.

Homework Equations

q=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

335 kJ/kg means 335 J/g

Heat = 335 J/g * 20 g = 6700 J

This was 2/3 of the starting kinetic energy of the bullet, the 1/3 is spent on chunks flying everywhere.
6700 J = 0.5(0.009 kg)(v^2) * 2/3
v = 1494 m/s

The problem is that the answer is supossed to be aproximately 1060 m/s but i can't get it.
I feel like I'm missing something but don't know what.

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a bit odd to have so much energy to break the ice, as melting is a similar process just for all remaining atoms. Unless your pieces of ice fly away at high speed, the end result is the same, 20 grams of water.
Anyway, I don't see how you could get 1060 m/s. That would correspond to a kinetic energy of 5056 J, not even enough to melt the ice.

5056 J * 4/3 = 6741 J is about the energy needed to melt the ice, but that calculation doesn't make sense.

Your reasoning and results look okay to me. Perhaps the problem's given values were modified at some point (to make it a "new" question) but the answer key was not updated to reflect the changes.

Thank you for help.
gneill said:
Your reasoning and results look okay to me. Perhaps the problem's given values were modified at some point (to make it a "new" question) but the answer key was not updated to reflect the changes.

gneill said:
Or they forgot the ½ in ½mv2.
And I agree with mfb that the energy that goes into breaking the ice doesn't then disappear; most of it would end up as heat.

Likes gneill

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relation to other forms of energy. It also involves the transfer of heat and the conversion of heat into work.

2. How does the bullet melting ice problem relate to thermodynamics?

The bullet melting ice problem is a common example used to demonstrate the principles of thermodynamics. It involves a bullet being fired into a block of ice, and the resulting increase in temperature of the ice due to the conversion of kinetic energy into heat.

3. Is it possible for a bullet to completely melt the ice it is fired into?

No, it is not possible for a bullet to completely melt the ice it is fired into. This is because the amount of heat generated by the bullet is not enough to melt all of the ice, and some of the heat will also be lost to the surrounding environment.

4. How does the melting of ice by a bullet follow the laws of thermodynamics?

The melting of ice by a bullet follows the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. In this case, the kinetic energy of the bullet is converted into heat energy, causing the ice to melt.

5. Can the bullet melting ice problem be used to explain the second law of thermodynamics?

Yes, the bullet melting ice problem can be used to explain the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. In this case, the bullet causes an increase in entropy by converting ordered kinetic energy into disordered heat energy.