How much is known about ~x^4 potential

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses the knowledge and methods surrounding eigenstates and values of the Hamiltonian H=-\frac{1}{2m}\partial_x^2 + c x^4. It is mentioned that there are no precise solutions, but that variational methods and the WKB approximation can provide good approximations for low-lying and high energy states, respectively. The conversation also references two articles for further information on the topic.
jostpuur
How much is known about eigenstates and values of the Hamiltonian

[tex]
H=-\frac{1}{2m}\partial_x^2 + c x^4
[/tex]

I understand the fact that we cannot find precise solutions to everything, but what I find disturbing here is that I haven't even encountered approximation methods that would be useful here. Do approximate solutions to this exist in mainstream knowledge?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. For low-lying states, variational methods would work. For high energy states, the WKB approximation would work well. I'm not an expert on numerical methods, but I'm sure you could figure out anything you wanted to know to high precision.

1. How is the ~x^4 potential defined?

The ~x^4 potential is a mathematical function that represents the interaction between two particles as a function of their distance. It is defined as V(r) = kx^4, where k is a constant and x is the distance between the particles.

2. What is the significance of the ~x^4 potential?

The ~x^4 potential is commonly used in theoretical physics and chemistry to model the behavior of particles in various systems. It is particularly useful in studying the stability of molecules and the interactions between atoms.

3. How much is known about the ~x^4 potential?

The ~x^4 potential is a well-studied and understood mathematical function. Its properties have been extensively researched and it is widely used in various fields of science. However, there is still ongoing research to further explore its applications and limitations.

4. Can the ~x^4 potential be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, the ~x^4 potential can be applied to real-world systems, such as molecules and atoms. In fact, it has been used to successfully predict the behavior of particles in these systems and has provided valuable insights into their properties and interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to the ~x^4 potential?

Like any mathematical model, the ~x^4 potential has its limitations. It is a simplified representation of particle interactions and may not accurately capture the complexities of certain systems. Additionally, it may not be applicable in extreme conditions, such as at very high energies.