How much of your life is spent in a car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
While doing some tax stuff, it came to my attention that I spent about 330 hours, or 13.8 days in my car last year. That would be about 3.8% of my life.

There was a time when it was more like 12%, or 18% of my waking life.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
While doing some tax stuff, it came to my attention that I spent about 330 hours, or 13.8 days in my car last year. That would be about 3.8% of my life.

There was a time when it was more like 12%, or 18% of my waking life.

http://www.realmofdarkness.net/pranks/farley-2.jpg

Some people end up living in a VAN down by the RIVER!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
While doing some tax stuff, it came to my attention that I spent about 330 hours, or 13.8 days in my car last year. That would be about 3.8% of my life.

There was a time when it was more like 12%, or 18% of my waking life.
In my previous employment, I used to drive 47 miles door-to-door between home and office. It could take as little as 45 minutes, if I drove >70 mi/hr most of the way (on a hilly and winding parkway), so that was a minimum 1.5 hrs/day for about 230 days/yr. If it rained or snowed, it could take 1.5 - 2.5 hrs one way. The longest commute home was on a night when it snowed, then rained, and a landslide closed the parkway. So I and others ended up driving across a small country road that was flooded. I called my wife after the third hour (soonest I could get to phone - before I got a cell phone) to let her know I was still trying to get home. I got home an hour later to find the house had started to flood.

Anyway, I now live about 12 minutes from the office, so I got some of my life back.
 
I have a 20 minute commute to my university every day. It's mostly interstate driving and isn't that bad, but the gas can get expensive. Sadly, it's still cheaper than living on campus!
 
That's why the bus is better. You can chill out, chat, read and such. Not be alone in the car staring at the road.