Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much of your life is spent in a car?

1. Aug 14, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While doing some tax stuff, it came to my attention that I spent about 330 hours, or 13.8 days in my car last year. That would be about 3.8% of my life.

There was a time when it was more like 12%, or 18% of my waking life.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2007 #2
    [​IMG]

Some people end up living in a VAN down by the RIVER!

4. Aug 15, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

In my previous employment, I used to drive 47 miles door-to-door between home and office. It could take as little as 45 minutes, if I drove >70 mi/hr most of the way (on a hilly and winding parkway), so that was a minimum 1.5 hrs/day for about 230 days/yr. If it rained or snowed, it could take 1.5 - 2.5 hrs one way. The longest commute home was on a night when it snowed, then rained, and a landslide closed the parkway. So I and others ended up driving across a small country road that was flooded. I called my wife after the third hour (soonest I could get to phone - before I got a cell phone) to let her know I was still trying to get home. I got home an hour later to find the house had started to flood.

Anyway, I now live about 12 minutes from the office, so I got some of my life back.

5. Aug 15, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have a 20 minute commute to my university every day. It's mostly interstate driving and isn't that bad, but the gas can get expensive. Sadly, it's still cheaper than living on campus!

6. Aug 15, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's why the bus is better. You can chill out, chat, read and such. Not be alone in the car staring at the road.

7. Aug 15, 2007 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?