1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much perspiration must vaporize per hour to dissipate extra energy

1. Jun 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

During the game, the metabolism of basketball players often increases by as much as 30.0 W. How much perspiration must a player vaporize per hour to dissipate this extra thermal energy? Assume that perspiration is simply pure water and that perspiration starts at temperature of 37 degrees celcius.

2. Relevant equations

Q=mcΔT
    Q=mHv

3. The attempt at a solution

Thermal energy to be dissipated in 1.00h is
    U=(30J/s)(3600s/hr)=108KJ/hr

The amount of water this energy transmittes as heat would vaporize is,
    m=(1.08x10^5J)/(2.26X10^6J/kg)= 4.78x10^-2kg

I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I never used 37 degrees/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Did you have body temperatures in previous problems? Maybe the players start at lower temperatures?

4. Jun 8, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You use 37° when reading from tables to determine what value of ∆Hvap to use because it is not a fixed value across all temperatures, ∆Hvap falls slightly as temperature rises. http://www.thermexcel.com/english/tables/vap_eau.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted