1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much Schooling is there to become a Physicist or a surgeon?

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    im just really curious...
    at the moment im roughly stuck in the middle as to whether i want to become a surgeon, neurology preferably, or a Physicist,im still not completely sure about which branch, but im inclining towards a Molecular, Astronomical, or theoretical.
    Wages and salary arent really a determining factor for me.
    At the moment, im in my junior year in high school, so i was just wondering how much schooling i would require...
    thanks for the answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

You should be able to easily find this information, but here it is since I have it handy...
    is that human of animal surgeon? I assume human...
    I also assume this is in the US?
    Physicist
    Undergrad 3-5 years
    grad 4-10 years
    postdoc 4-12+ years

neurological surgeon
    Undergrad 3-5 years
    MD 4 years
    phd (optional) 2-7 years
    basic residency 6 years
    research experience 0-2 years
    fellowship (optional)(example:Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology ) 1-2 years

Hope you enjoy quantum field theory or biochemistry or both.

http://www.rush.edu/professionals/gme/neurosurgery/faculty.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 27, 2009 #3
    I've heard that it's an eight year residency to be a neurosurgeon, so with the four years of medical school that's 12 years out of undergrad. Grad school in physics usually five years, plus at least one two-year post doc (usually more, so let's average out and call it three). And then if you're one of those lucky few who gets a tenure-track faculty position, it's another five years before you have a fully secure job as a physicist. So that's also about twelve years out of undergrad, with the +/- 1 that we introduced.

I guess it's the same either way.

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think postdoctoral work is considered 'schooling'. Postdocs in physics could legitimately be called physicists.

6. Sep 27, 2009 #5
    Becoming a Surgeon would take a lot of schooling. My uncle is in his mid-30s and just finished his certifications and stuff. My cousin has a PhD, MS, and Bachelors at the age of 26 and already has published stuff and is currently a professor conducting research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook