I wanna become a theoretical physicist(questions and doubts)

• Other
  • Thread starter Name-
  • Start date
I never got deep into creationism or horoscopes either. Doesn't stop me from calling it rubbish.
I think you misunderstood me I mean me since I barely know anything at all about real science I don't feel that I have the right to call it that I didn't mean that it wasn't ok I just mean that I personaly don't want to call it that how other people go about calling it is up to them no offence im not gonna stop you(and I do agree I just don't want to make an uniformed/missinformed statement).

Last edited:
I think a good plan is going to college and aim for an engineering degree. Since engineering students already take Classical Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electromagnetism and some math that is also required by physics, an engineering degree should give you a good idea of what is physics. You should just try to take some physics-specific courses too, like Quantum Mechanics , or maybe Special Relativity or more advanced classical mechanics(if Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics aren't already covered by the engineering Mechanics course). You can also take one physics course that gives you some insight into a special field of physics, like solid state physics, particle physics, etc. And actually depending on what kind of engineering you're studying, such courses may help too, like solid state physics.
I think this is a good plan because this way you both have a degree proper for finding a job and you also get to know more about physics. Then if you like physics more than engineering, you can go to grad school. Otherwise you can get a job related to your degree.
Of course this post assumes you're in US. Are you?

I think a good plan is going to college and aim for an engineering degree. Since engineering students already take Classical Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electromagnetism and some math that is also required by physics, an engineering degree should give you a good idea of what is physics. You should just try to take some physics-specific courses too, like Quantum Mechanics , or maybe Special Relativity or more advanced classical mechanics(if Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics aren't already covered by the engineering Mechanics course). You can also take one physics course that gives you some insight into a special field of physics, like solid state physics, particle physics, etc. And actually depending on what kind of engineering you're studying, such courses may help too, like solid state physics.
I think this is a good plan because this way you both have a degree proper for finding a job and you also get to know more about physics. Then if you like physics more than engineering, you can go to grad school. Otherwise you can get a job related to your degree.
Of course this post assumes you're in US. Are you?
That idea sounds like something to keep in mind. Sadly I am not in the U.S currently I am in Sweden but I will hopefully be going to the U.K in my third year of high school as an exchange student since that seems to be a possibility to be outside of Sweden which should make it easier to get jobs/enter schools from other countries.

That idea sounds like something to keep in mind. Sadly I am not in the U.S currently I am in Sweden but I will hopefully be going to the U.K in my third year of high school as an exchange student since that seems to be a possibility to be outside of Sweden which should make it easier to get jobs/enter schools from other countries.
Are you going to go to a Swedish university?

Are you going to go to a Swedish university?
Im still in 9th grade so i have 1 more year in sweden then im going into high school(I thaught myself a bit of trig and linear not enough to be able to say that I can use them. I found an old book in our basement and then I read the first page and it had polynomial and degree's and stuff I got a hang of the polynomial stuff but the other stuff was kinda hard to understand and trig is just triangles from what I know(not alot) with the sin (0) cos (0) tan (0). Blech reread the question I am hopefully going to a university in the U.K this is gonna sound really stupid but I would love to go to Oxford (preferably) I don't have any other universities that i know of that fits what i want quite like Oxford. So the answer is no if everything goes as planned im gonna go to Oxford.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
You need to stop with the "wanna". It's not even slang. It's baby talk. Nobody will take you seriously if you insist on baby talk.

And you really need to focus in getting good grades in the courses you take before trying to whip through materials that are more advanced. This is the foundation for all your future studies and it needs to be strong.

You need to stop with the "wanna". It's not even slang. It's baby talk. Nobody will take you seriously if you insist on baby talk.

And you really need to focus in getting good grades in the courses you take before trying to whip through materials that are more advanced. This is the foundation for all your future studies and it needs to be strong.
if you mean that I should just focus on getting good grades then that's what im doing right now.

if you mean that I should just focus on getting good grades then that's what im doing right now.
Good. Now get Gelfand's trigonometry book, and get Schaum's outline of trigonometry. Work through both books concurrently.

Good. Now get Gelfand's trigonometry book, and get Schaum's outline of trigonometry. Work through both books concurrently.
Aye aye captain :D.

Same goes with "gonna".
Ah ok I think I understand i'll try to stop using those ''wanna'' and ''gonna' instead its going to be want to and going to does that work?

Ah ok I think I understand i'll try to stop using those ''wanna'' and ''gonna' instead its going to be want to and going to does that work?
Much better. It's not so much for us here, but when you communicate with someone in a professional context, you don't "wanna" be taken as being sloppy.

Much better. It's not so much for us here, but when you communicate with someone in a professional context, you don't "wanna" be taken as being sloppy.
Ok thank you this was very helpful I will be sure to stop doing that from now on.