How much time sciencists spending on math?

• Thread starter fermio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, a mathematician is very well versed in a smaller area of mathematics while a physicist has knowledge of many different areas of math. A physicist can use the mathematical tools from any area effectively and efficiently.
fermio
What part of live is for math or physics for sciensists? I think need work all day (10 hours or more) if you want to be a good sciencists of physics or math or good lecturer. Do I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math is the language of physics. All good physicists are excellent mathematicians.

Here's my experience as a first year physics grad student who majored in math:

Math and physics most certainly aren't the same thing, and the answer to your question depends on what you mean by "math." In my coursework and research, I spend a lot of time doing mathematics. But most of this involves doing a lot of algebra, taking derivatives, writing programs, etc. In my math courses as an undergrad, there was very little computation, and very many proofs. Honestly it felt like being an English or philosophy major at times. Real mathematics doesn't involve as much computation as physics

To be a physicist you need to be excellent at "basic" math like algebra and calculus, which I think is what Chronos was getting at. But it's OK if you don't know the difference between a field and a ring.

Chronos said:
Math is the language of physics. All good physicists are excellent mathematicians.

Eh? I hope not. I haven't done any real upper-division math. Diff EQ's, Partial derivatives, vector calculus, linear algebra, some real and complex analysis in my math physics class. That's about it. I wouldn't consider that being an excellent mathematician.

Not compared to what my math major friends are doing.

Poop-Loops said:
Eh? I hope not. I haven't done any real upper-division math. Diff EQ's, Partial derivatives, vector calculus, linear algebra, some real and complex analysis in my math physics class. That's about it. I wouldn't consider that being an excellent mathematician.

If you have some experience with this, then you should be fine for physics. The only upper division math I've ever used in my graduate physics classes is complex analysis, and even then it was only twice. If you know linear algebra, diff eq, and vector calculus, that's pretty much all you need. Any math you need for specialized topics, you'll probably learn on the fly.

Im taking PDEs right now, and its going to be rough. Its been a long time since my last math class.

Poop-Loops said:

I like to use the following example to explain the difference between a math and physics majors knowledge of math:

A mathematician is VERY well versed in a smaller area of mathematics, knowing all the in and outs, all the tricks, and knows where everything comes from.

A physicist, on the other hand, has knowledge of many different areas of math, though their knowledge of anyone area of math is usually much shallowing than that of a mathematician who specializes in any of those areas. A physicist will know enough about the area to use the mathematical tools from that area effectively and efficiently.

I think, that if your profesion is matehematics or good physics then need very hard work and spend for it much time and much think and practicicate. I enough good understand derivatives, integrals, but harder integrals is pretty hard to me. Partial derivative in many hard combinations f(x, y) is also almost unclear and very hard and two or 3 integrals at one time also very hard, so it's hard to me to understood how profesrors can handle it. So I think math and physics and also programing, computers is the hardest science, but which giving the biggest benefit for humans... Also I was trying to learn physics, but by trying learn physics I almost nothing to learn and to try somthing learn of physics is just like Donkihot fighting with millhouses. For physics learning perhaps is more important practic. Also was trying learn quantum mechanics and almost nothing learn, maybe my physics books bad...

1. How much time do scientists spend on math in their research?

The amount of time scientists spend on math in their research varies depending on their field of study and the specific project they are working on. Some scientists may spend a majority of their time on math, while others may only use it minimally. However, math is an essential tool in the scientific process and is often used for data analysis, modeling, and making predictions.

2. Do all scientists need to be proficient in math?

No, not all scientists need to be proficient in math. While math is important in many scientific fields, there are certain areas where it is not as crucial. For example, some social scientists may use basic math skills, such as statistics, but not require advanced mathematical knowledge. However, having a strong foundation in math can be beneficial for all scientists, as it allows for a better understanding of data and the ability to communicate findings effectively.

3. Are there any specific areas of science that require more math skills?

Yes, certain fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, require a strong understanding of math. These areas often deal with complex mathematical concepts and equations, and scientists in these fields may spend a significant amount of time on math in their research. However, even in other areas of science, such as biology and chemistry, math is still an important tool for analyzing and interpreting data.

4. How do scientists use math in their experiments?

Scientists use math in their experiments in various ways. It may be used to design experiments, collect and analyze data, and make predictions or conclusions based on the results. Math also helps scientists to create models and simulations to better understand complex systems and phenomena. In some cases, scientists may also use math to develop new theories and hypotheses.

5. Can scientists use computer programs to do the math for them?

Yes, scientists often use computer programs, such as statistical software or programming languages, to assist with math in their research. These tools can help with complex calculations and data analysis, saving scientists time and allowing for more accurate results. However, it is still important for scientists to have a basic understanding of math concepts and be able to interpret and verify the results produced by these programs.