How Much Water Can a Freezer Turn to Ice in One Hour?

  • Thread starter Thread starter soccer4life
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thermodynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
soccer4life
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
1. What volume of water at 0oC can a freezer make into ice cubes in 1.0 hour, if the coefficient of performance of the cooling unit is 7.0 and the power input is 1.0 kilowatt?
2. C.O.P.=QL/W
Q=mlfusion
[itex]\rho[/itex]=m/v

3. I found QL by using the above formula, which gave me 700J. Next I used Q=ml (l=333000j/kg) to find the mass which is where I got .002 kg (I'm pretty sure that this is where I made my mistake.) Next I know to use the formula for density to divide the mass by the density of water (1 x 103. Can somebody point out where I made a mistake, or if my thinking is wrong?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I figured out the problem (1000J/s in 1 KW instead of 100...,) but don't know how to close the thread (if possible.) Thanks for the responses though!
 
Only Administrators can close threads, so don't worry.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person