How Much Water Fell on the City During the Storm?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
PhysicsCCR
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A violent rainstorm dumps 1.7 cm of rain on a city 4.0 km wide and 7.0 km long in a 2.0 hr period. How many metric tons of water fell on the city?

Homework Equations



1 ton = 10^3 kg
1 cm^3 of water has a mass of 1 g = 10^-3 kg.
Density of water is 1.0 g/cm^3

The Attempt at a Solution



Knowing that density of water is 1.0 g/cm^3...

I first calculated the volume, which is v = (1.7 cm) (4000 cm) (7000 cm) = 4.76E7 cm^3. To get the mass in metric tons, I did the following: mass = (4.76E7 cm^3) (1 g/cm^3) (1 kg / 1 000 g) (1 metric ton / 1000 kg) = 47.6 metric tons.

When I entered it into the computer, it said it was incorrect. Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If 1 metre = 100 cm and 1 km = 1000 m, then 4.0 km = how many cm??
And for 7.0 km??
 
Wow. Thanks, man. I messed up the conversion factor. No wonder why I keep getting it wrong. lol Thanks again! I don't know how I could have missed that!
 
Last edited: