Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much will pipe weigh in a well

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    I want to know how much a piece of pipe would weigh if I ran it down into a cylinder that was closed off at both ends except for a place to run the pipe through and a port to pump compressed air at the top. The cylinder would have water in it and I would apply air pressure through the top to push water down the cylinder and out the pipe. The problem is I don’t know how to calculate what the pipe would way during this process. Since the pressure outside the pipe would have to be greater than in the pipe would I have to account for the fluid weight in the pipe and would there be an upward force applied to the pipe. Also how do I calculate a what point the pipe would burst, I am thinking that since the out side pressure of the pipe is just a few pounds greater than that of the inside pipe that I could use that difference for my burst rating. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I my apologies for my lack of terminology.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2
    I think you just need to calculate the cubic displacement of the pipe, then find out the fluid weight.

That could be a starting point, anyways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook