1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much will pipe weigh in a well

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    I want to know how much a piece of pipe would weigh if I ran it down into a cylinder that was closed off at both ends except for a place to run the pipe through and a port to pump compressed air at the top. The cylinder would have water in it and I would apply air pressure through the top to push water down the cylinder and out the pipe. The problem is I don’t know how to calculate what the pipe would way during this process. Since the pressure outside the pipe would have to be greater than in the pipe would I have to account for the fluid weight in the pipe and would there be an upward force applied to the pipe. Also how do I calculate a what point the pipe would burst, I am thinking that since the out side pressure of the pipe is just a few pounds greater than that of the inside pipe that I could use that difference for my burst rating. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I my apologies for my lack of terminology.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2
    I think you just need to calculate the cubic displacement of the pipe, then find out the fluid weight.

That could be a starting point, anyways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook