1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much would a near-perfect GRE score help?

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    If someone has a relatively poor undergraduate record (below 3.0 GPA), but at the same time posses a high GRE score (without sub), would he/she still have a chance being granted with financial assistance? What about the same situation regarding international students?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2
    my guess is not much. my general GRE was near-perfect but everything i've heard has been that grad schools dont care how much of a whiz you are at IQ tests, they want to know how well you work in a particular subject

4. Dec 16, 2009 #3
    Thanks. So the GPA weighs like over 70% all along in admission huh? :) I don't quite catch you on "in a particular subject", do you mean an excellent record on specific course or a couple of published thesis?

Fluffy

5. Dec 17, 2009 #4
    Actually, the most important thing is recommendation letters.

But with below a 3.0 GPA... it's not going to be easy, even with stellar recommendations.

6. Dec 17, 2009 #5
    Particularly if they come from people you've done research for. (Research is the other major factor in getting in.)

If you're applying to a grad school in physics, your GPA from your physics (and math relevant to physics) courses (probably) can't be below 3.00. There's leeway with courses outside your major, but not much.

7. Dec 17, 2009 #6
    Agreed... most university graduate schools require a 3.0 or a 3.25 overall GPA to be admitted to the university. If you're below this, the program would have to petition the university to let you in. In my experience, this rarely happens.

8. Dec 17, 2009 #7
    Absolutely. I apologize for not being clearer in my post... I was thinking about letters from people you have worked for, and I should have said that clearly.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook